Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry engine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dry engine

Bluejeepdad makes sense. I know for brake in on a auto camshaft your supposed to "idle" at 2000rpm for 20 minutes .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MWflyer View Post
    -is that the only way the cam gets oiled in an O-290d is oil being splashed on it?
    The oil level in the sump is below the crankshaft so it's not like some simple engines that have a splash lubrication system where the crank and rod dip in to the oil and sling it up. With pressure lubricated engines the oil is fed to the crankshaft and camshaft bearings where it squirts out the ends of each bearing and onto the surfaces of the rotating crank and cam. That sprays the oil over everything inside the crankcase including the cam lobes.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeepdad View Post
    I go even higher; 1700 rpm or so. The contact load between the cam lobes and the tappet faces is highest at idle and goes down as speed increases (opposite of what you'd think). So going to a higher speed minimizes the chance of cam/tappet damage. Of course you don't want to use too much throttle too soon before the engine has warmed up evenly. IIRC 1700 is what they use at the factory.

Tim
    Pick an RPM.....just don't let the thing idle.