Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.00X6 tires on my Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8.00X6 tires on my Pacer

When I purchased my Pacer in 1999 it had 8.00x6 tires on it, but they where rubbing on the brake calipers, so I took them off and mounted 6.00x6. I have searched this site to find out what spacers I need to mount 8.00x6 tires on my Pacer, but can't find anything to the detail I'm looking for. Jim Hann provided me this information from Univair about the Cleveland Wheel and Brake Eligibility List and Axel Spacer Information: http://www.univair.com/content/Cleve...ke-spacers.pdf .

First question, since there are no pictures on the Univair Web-Site, what do these spacers look like and where do they go? Wouldn't I need spacers to move the brake disk further away from the wheel/tire to provide clearance?
    Second, in the Univair chart are two ways listed to mount the 8.00x6 tires. All the columns are identical as far as Main gear assembly, Wheel and Brake. The only difference is if I have the 075-02900 torque plate. I need to check this since I'm not sure. The question is, there is a I.B. and O.B. spacer. Does that mean "in board" and "out board" spacers? Again, no pictures or diagram where they would go. Would I need one I.B. and one O.B. spacer per side (kind of my third question).

Any pictures or diagrams/drawings would be greatly appreciated.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Last edited by Pacer42Z; 11-27-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8.00X6 tires on my Pacer

I'm looking at my prints for the installation of Cleavland wheels and brakes on the original 11/4" axles and there are no additional spacers at all. The bracket that supports the caliper bolts to the original piper bracket, but is offset about 5/16" away from the tire/rim assembly.
    20171127_205635.jpg
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 11-28-2017 at 06:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Any pictures or diagrams/drawings would be greatly appreciated.
    Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Juergen these photos won’t be too useful as they show the 1 1/2 in axel on a univair conversion gear. But at least they might shed some light on inner and outer spacer widths and how they align the disk in the caliper. The photo with 3 spacers side by side, shows the original wide spacer on the right as was used with the original drum brake wheels, and the two more narrow spacers used on inside and outside of wheel on the newer disk brake wheel set. You should be able to buy the tubing and make your own, with a little effort.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by Brian; 11-28-2017 at 12:39 AM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Brian posted the spacers go on the axle. Light Plane Components made a gear with a fixed bushing on the axle depending on which brakes you were using. Later that was changed to a shorter fixed bushing with adapter bushing that could be changed if the brakes were later changed to a different model. Here is a good thread with some information on the spacer between the brake caliper and the wheel.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...els-and-Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the info. Steve, I did find the thread when I searched, but it wasn't clear to me that some of the info I was looking for was in that thread. I guess first I need to look at the wheels at my Pacer (it has the Univair conversion) to find out the specific wheels I have. My brakes look definitely different than the brakes in Brian's pictures. Reading the thread Steve pointed out and looking at the drawing Pacerfgoe provided, using a deeper brake disk or a spacer ring beteen the wheel and the brake disk and different Brake Anchor bolts to re-align the brake caliper would be the easiest to move the brake disk away from the tire.

Thanks again for all the info and pointing me in the right direction.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

For moving the calipers reference the tire, Airframes Alaska makes some plates that go between the brake disk and the wheel to allow extra clearance. They come with longer bolts. You then will need longer post/dowels for you brake calipers. Bring money.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the outside diameter of 8.50X6 wheels? How much larger are they vs. 8.00X6?

A friend of mine offered me McCauley wheel hubs, but I think they are not approved for my Univair gear conversion. I also read they had some problems developing cracks.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

McCauley’s are approved, you don’t want the three piece wheels.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Juergen, the only McCauley's approved are these p/n:

D-30291 Wheel
    D-30118 Brake
    D-30278 Torque Plate

According to Bulletin 1675 they are approved for 6, 7, and 8 inch tires but not 8.50s.

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the wheels I was offered have the sub-assembly number D-30662 on them. Also, Assy-half D-30661 and Cast E-30664. I guess I have to keep searching for the right wheels. I would like to keep flying my 6.00X6 with the wheel pants for most of the time and have a spare set of larger wheels when I go out West. Here at the East Coast the 6.00X6 are sufficient for all the flying I do. So whatever wheels I buy also have to work with the current Cleveland brakes.

Juergen
    Pacer N342Z