Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.00X6 tires on my Pacer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 8.00X6 tires on my Pacer

The proper wheels are hard to come by themslves. I have had customers buy new wheels from Airframes Alaska for $1400 plus and then they sit in the corner of the hanger. Doesn't take that long to swap tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, that is what I'm struggling with. I had some more offers for wheels, but they either are not certified for the Pacer, or don't match the current brake set up. It would not help if I would have to change the brake calipers every time I switch wheels. I looked at buying new wheels, but $1,500 is a lot of money for wheels I will be using only four to six weeks a year. I may just switch out tires whenever I go West to fly the back country.
    It is really too bad we don't have real back country flying in the Mid Atlantic region. Everything is so populated and you take a risk of landing on someones private property if you land by a river or on top of a mountain.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is what I like about where I live. I am 7 miles from the Brazos River which is public land. The adjacent land owners don't like it and complain to the game warden but we are legal to use the land. We try and cooperate with the land owners to keep the peace but I do feel fortunate it is so close. I still enjoy playing in Idaho and Utah as well.
    20170820_111216.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe compromise and go with 700x6 we had them on our Pacer and they are the same diam. as 800x4. Not quite as wide but no problem with Cleveland disc brakes and kept the original pants on.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That is what I like about where I live. I am 7 miles from the Brazos River which is public land. The adjacent land owners don't like it and complain to the game warden but we are legal to use the land. We try and cooperate with the land owners to keep the peace but I do feel fortunate it is so close. I still enjoy playing in Idaho and Utah as well.
    20170820_111216.jpg

One of these days I'm going to get down there! I'm with Juergen, even in Missouri "Public Use Land" is a four letter word. I would need bigger tires to go play like that, so one of these days...
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the STC today to mount 8.50x6 and/or 26" tires on my Pacer. I am planning to attend the High Sierra Fly-in this year. The big question, 8.50x6 or 26"?

1) Does anyone know how much the speed penalty is mounting 26" vs. the 8.50s? Right now (6.00x6 and Wheel Pants) I do about 117 knots true at altitude with 160 HP @ 2,500 RPM with a 58" pitch Prop.
    2) If I have 8.50s on the Pacer, can I still participate in the fly-outs at the High Sierra Fly-in, or are the tires too small?

Any input is appreciated.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Something to consider with the 26 in Goodyear’s, no tread to throw stones,
    Heavy, but last forever on hard surfaces.
    I would love the 26 in bushwheels but landing on hard surfaces would make
    me wince.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What Dave said.

Post Thanks / Like

The dessert smooth 8.50’s are extremely light, same weight as the 6.00’s I took off a 172.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I think I found my tires. Thanks a lot for the tip. 22" diameter at under 10 lbs. of weight. I will only mount them on the Pacer when I fly out West or North. For the most of the time of the year (flying up and down the East Coast) I keep using my 6.00x6 with the wheel pants.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z