Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing RV engine baffles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Installing RV engine baffles

Here is a good pic of how the kit comes! Every part has a label on it with the part number which makes it very easy to follow along with the instructions.

8F00F7D1-69CF-4728-A509-480515797E4F.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Ok!!! I have been held up a little trying to get some of our customers planes finished up this week. First thing I suggest is reading through the instructions and plans several times so you have a pretty good overall idea of how the step your on corresponds with the next. The first thing they have you do is cut apart and trim some of the stiffeners. At first site is seems like a lot of thought but in reality everything is marked with small notches and you are simply trimming the area beateeen the notches then rounding them off nicely. I have a combination sanding table that I will use for the clean up work once the parts are separated. Here is a pic of the plans and my marked parts.

D3CA20B2-B076-4DF9-9790-FCB5B29D35D4.jpg BFBE65C7-ED83-4E20-BA6C-54BC4700C9FF.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

And here are the pieces cut out and trimmed. Also, the left and right air dam’s cut and trimmed.

7FEF36D6-878A-4EC9-B691-AF74268A5FAD.jpg D9EE69E1-E640-4A86-8E15-B474DCFFB5AB.jpg
    Last edited by SClow303; 02-20-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    Same here, field approved oil cooler relocation.
    Remote oil filter by STC
    Also have field approved alternator install.
    Starter by STC.
    Engine instruments by STC
    Dual digital fuel gauge by field approval.

Will get my baffle compliant by appropriate paperwork / installation / configuration
    Bryan
    By Any chance did you post copies of your 337s here on the forum? Others more bashful with the FAA might find it very useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 51-pa22 View Post
    By Any chance did you post copies of your 337s here on the forum? ...
    most of my 337s' are posted within the "tips, tricks, articles, and reviews" forum section

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

OK, a question for you guys that have done this before!! I want to move the oil cooler back one inch like suggested. I was going to make a plate that moves the bottom curved part back up against the cylinder... did you guys do this also or just leave it moved back? I figure I may as well do it to keep that portion tucked up against the barrel of the cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted my oil cooler up against the rear baffling. I added more reinforcing than recommended. The left rear baffle has a jog which holds it about an inch away from the cylinder. I found variations in the RV kits and not all parts marked. There was lots of adjusting to get it positioned.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I mounted the oil cooler just as the Van's instructions show. I added some stiffeners to make the install as much like the Stewarts STC as I could (I bought this STC for the plane). I have about 100 hours on this setup and have no cracking or other issues.
    On the cylinders, I checked for flash in the fins at the mold parting line. I used a needle file to clean up any problem areas. The Van's guys also make sure there is a little (1/16") space between the back cylinder and the baffling.
    The engine is cooling great. In fact I'm having a hard time getting the oil temps much above 160. Most of the time it's more like 135. I'm experimenting with blocking part of the oil cooler. Before I do much more of this I need to check that I have the correct vern-a-therm and check that the oil temp is reading the correct temp.

Post Thanks / Like

Spacer behind number 3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SClow303 View Post
    I finally got to the point in my project where I needed to finish up the FWF components. I ordered a set of the Vans O-320 baffles with oil cool and oil cooler mount this past week. Shipping was super fast. I opened them up last night and to tell you the truth it is a little overwhelming when you first see all those parts crammed in that box! I brought them to work with me today to start laying them out and reading through the supplied instructions. I want t a really good idea of what I am doing before I even think about starting to install them. The craftsmanship is very nice. For the costs I can not believe the quality. Having the guys on the forum that have done the installation before is a huge help and I plane to add to this thread and document the process from start to finish for others that may be wanting to do it in the future.
    Just did this project myself - took a RV 0-360 kit baffling kit, did the #4 oil cooler part myself, fitted it to my Pacer - took me about 90 hours of work. It was the front part that took most of the improvising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk