Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter has arrived

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Winter has arrived

Bryan, is your camera attached to the tail wheel spring?

Another stunning day so I did some exploring in the Talkeetna Mountains. Quite an inversion and saw my oil temps past 200F which is always a bit of a psych until one realizes the reason: inversion and winter oil cooler cover...

Rocket

IMG_6026.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    ... camera attached to ...
    Rocket...

I had the camera attached to the rear grab handle using a handle bar clamp adapter...
    IMG_5231.jpg IMG_5230.jpg

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome vid - would love to fly in that snow country one day - loved the slip approach at 3.43
    HunterJ

Post Thanks / Like

Fish lake birds. Couple of T crates, one still on floats, and a cub...

IMG_6064.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Big Sue Moose...

And putting the Batplane to test for the night:

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Typical Texas winter here, down in the 20s and then up to 50 plus. Last 3 evenings have been dead came, made for some great flying.
    20180114_155035.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

That moose is like "Hey that's not fair, I want wings too!" Awesome pics, Rocket.

Post Thanks / Like

He used to seeing squirrel flying around without him - aka Rocky & Bullwinkle

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to get good shots down low solo... A few days before spooked a wolf out of the trees and he made a dash across the river. He would get a bout five or six lunges and then break through the thin wind crust on top of a couple feet of powder and tumble head over tail, right himself almost emediatly, and do it again. A quick crank and bank but by the time I was on his track again he had disappeared.
    I saw about 26-30 moose but I was told by an experienced observer that there were 50! No hunting season right here which might explain their presence.
    Usually when the wolves are on a group of moose the gather up close like this and also move close to the habitation of humans, like in your yard close, as the wolves would rather not, well not until they get more hungry.
    Out west the wolves would come into town every spring and cull the superfluous dog population...

Had been working a couple snow covered sand bars, snow bars , on the Sue just outside of town and had been making the tracks longer and longer. A few days later as things started freezing up I made a full stop in the middle of my track, yep right were the moose had been crossing it. A few days later it warmed up and the overflow buried my little landing strip...
    Outside for a couple weeks where I will be hooking up with a Iceland Air captan building a pacer in Reykjavik.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

I know, Iceland in the winter, it's the number one question. Hooked up with a gentleman who is building a super pacer experimental: long wings, wide cord controls, airfoiled stabilizer, 200 hp FI EI, tall gear, duel stick, panel candy, Oratex,... Plan is for March test flight.

Got the airport tour and met the usual suspects: the acro pro, 80 year old CFI, heavy captains building toys, just like any small airport in the world. One guy was building a set of wheel skis to fit his Bushwheels, another his second exp cub, couple fiber kit planes in process. Shortage of mechanics: check.
    During the trade show spoke to an air taxi operator and the next day exiting an evening event was offered a mechanic position. I'm thinking about it.
    So get this, I'm sitting in the vary back of a 757 on our way home the other night, some kid passed out and when he fell bent the door to one of the lavatories trapping a women in there.
    I'm sitting one row from the back and it sounds ugly but after about five minutes I gather myself up umbukle my belt and make my move.
    I pull my "I am an airplane mechanic " and get with it. I send one flight attendant up to first class where they keep real knives, (really!) and after bending a few we get the door open... Not quite the "is anyone on board a pilot?" but felt I was the right guy at the right time and of course think the maker we didn't have to divert!!

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app