Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter has arrived

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Winter has arrived

Winter has arrived in Erie. The next few months of flying look to be very local (as in the local traffic pattern!). I'm already looking forward to spring flying conditions and the chance to get out and take a few day trips and overnights. Anyone have any suggestions for destinations? I'm not looking for anything fancy. Maybe a good restaurant or a place to sleep under the wing for the night (I also take my boys with me. They are six and four). I want to step out and have some adventures this year on my off days. I'm blessed to work seven days on/seven days off so I'm able to get away for a few days and want to make it a flying summer. I've already put Oshkosh on the calendar. The only question is how many days to I stay? Any ideas/recommendations or help is appreciated!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Winter has arrived

Sun & Fun and Oshkosh are always great fun especially with the kids. My son and I have always enjoyed small camp out fly-in like the Reklaw fly-in in east Texas. We organized a gravel bar camp out recently and had 12 airplanes show up. Had a great time.
    20171203_080949.jpg

20171203_081149.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Winter has arrived. We have 2 inches of snow this morning. Thursday it was shirt sleeve weather, today it is snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve I like your pictures. I believe I could land my Pacer there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You would have no problem landing there Fred. That is a Pacer in the second picture. This guy landed but barely made it out.
    20171203_131508.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 12-23-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    You would have no problem landing there Fred. That is a Pacer in the second picture. This guy landed but barely made it out.
    20171203_131508.jpg
    I remember 150's barely making it out of lots of places.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steve,

Any chance a Tripe could make it out? Look forward to hearing what dates you set aside for it. I'll put this on the calendar.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Steve,

Any chance a Tripe could make it out? Look forward to hearing what dates you set aside for it. I'll put this on the calendar.

Greg
    A Tri-Pacer does fine on the right gravel bar if hard packed. The lose gravel and sand can be hard on the prop being so low to the ground. It is usually just an impromptu get together when we see the weather will be good for the coming weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy of of mine just sent this to me. From last summer. Saying this with almost knee deep snow in the Talkeetne village strip still unmarked my man or plane! No snow fotos on this laptop though...

Ok, Batplane with her new winter covers and the last one is my copilot and I preflighting for a tour around the community

image.jpg

IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5879.jpg
    Last edited by rocket; 12-24-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Add real winter fotos!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Sun & Fun and Oshkosh are always great fun especially with the kids. My son and I have always enjoyed small camp out fly-in like the Reklaw fly-in in east Texas. We organized a gravel bar camp out recently and had 12 airplanes show up. Had a great time.
    20171203_080949.jpg

20171203_081149.jpg
    Steve, that looks like a lot of fun. How do you know what gravel bar you are allowed to land on? I read about back country flying in the West and watch U-Tube videos of people just land about anywhere. Living in Virginia, we have beautiful back country in Virginia and West Virginia, but I would be afraid getting shot just landing somewhere on top of a mountain or besides a river (Lot's of people around here with guns protecting their Moonshine). Does anyone know how to find out where it is OK to land and where not? How do you do it in Texas?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z