Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Switchbox remote start for preheat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Switchbox remote start for preheat

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Juergen,

I had thought of doing something similar with the aircraft. Its a pretty good idea. It may be irrational but I was concerned that may apply to much heat to a cold engine block to quickly since my aircraft sits in deep soak of cold. We've been mid single digits for a week and a half now. I'm concerned about shocking the motor. I figured using my EZ Heat on the oil pan then it would slowly bring the heat up in the engine. I also swing the prop a few times for good measure by hand.

Greg
    As long as youíre not burning components, Iím not sure you can heat a stopped engine too rapidly. What can happen is that if you apply a high heat you might be tempted to leave it on for too little time and that heat might not spread to the innards as far as youíd want it to. Thatís a function of the operator and not the temperature of the heating system though.

Also, if youíre swinging the prop through by hand before you crank the engine to spread heat Iíd stop. Any friction heat generated by that would be negligible in comparison to a proper preheat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    Juergen,

I had thought of doing something similar with the aircraft. Its a pretty good idea. It may be irrational but I was concerned that may apply to much heat to a cold engine block to quickly since my aircraft sits in deep soak of cold. We've been mid single digits for a week and a half now. I'm concerned about shocking the motor. I figured using my EZ Heat on the oil pan then it would slowly bring the heat up in the engine. I also swing the prop a few times for good measure by hand.

Greg
    Hey Greg, you see what you get when you move away from Virginia. BTW, we will be at Shannon on Sunday (Jan. 7th) for lunch.

I have been using this system since I bought the Pacer over 18 years ago. Never burned anything under the cowling. I regulate the heat by moving the forced air blower back from the air duct. If I can hold my hand over the outlet without feeling getting burned, then the temperature is OK. I will take a picture and will post it. I just don't like to have anything turned on generating heat under the cowling where there is oil and gasoline when I am not there to watch it. It gets pretty expensive burning down a whole row of hangars with airplanes in it, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Stay warm and keep flying. I actually love to fly in the winter. Crisp air, good performance and traffic patterns are not so crowded.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Jurgen forgot to mention that in Virginia temps were single digits this morning and with wind chill forecast to as cold as - 5 today
    AL

Post Thanks / Like

I decided to not go with switchbox after reading the reviews. I was looking for something a little more robust/reliable. I went with the following:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=1301569

i appreciate all the information and input.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Just adding some more information for what its worth to anyone that may try the GSM setup. These are not my notes, but from buddy that was setting one up to operate a sump heater from remote. He sent me some text messages about his setup and some learnings he has had along the way:

I got the RTU5024 module to turn it's internal relay to turn and turn off with a simple text msg!

From here it's a simple matter to turn on a pair external relays to turn on/off a heavier load!

Very easy; don't even need an app!
    Specific text msg to turn on, confirmation text follows saying "Relay ON" or "Relay OFF" respectively..
    There are other commands to turn on for specific periods, or just indefinite -i.e until next call to turn off..
    And can create an "authorized phone numbers" list, and either enable all callers (who has the pass word and knows commands) to switch relay, or just numbers from list..

I had trouble getting my remote switch setup to work initially.. so I went about troubleshooting, top down..
    First I verified I could operate my heater by manually supplying power.. that worked..
    Then I went about making the switch work.. found several gremlins...
    First, even though the switch says it can operate with 9v, I found it was happier with 12v, so rigged up a 12v wall adapter with right barrel connector..
    Next found the switch worked only occasionally.. tracked this down to the antenna needing stronger signal.. so used cabled whip antenna with a magnetic base stuck to a steel frame member on the plywood man door to the hangar..
    Lastly, there was a minor programming setup thing to let the heater stay on until it received a command to turn off..

Again... this is not my setup, just passing along some information.

Bryan
    Last edited by ysifly2; 01-07-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    I would like to post a picture, but I have been using Photobucket and they don't let you post pictures anymore without paying them money. What is everyone else using to post pictures (or do you just pay)?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Juergen,

My union message board has the same problem. Someone discovered postimage.org to replace Pbucket. You can create an account but not required, works well.

I'm also looking for a switch system, nice to see some options.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,

There where some great ideas given. A few of the home made models had a lot of advantages, I'm just not that savvy and was willing to pay a few bucks for my system. I had been turning this over and over in my head last year with the cold temps and had talked myself out of flying a few times because I didn't want to drive down, plug the plane in and then walk away for a few hours. We came out of the deep freeze for two days this week and I made my way to the plane. Found her covered in dew. Spent an hour or so wiping her down and getting her dry. We went back to freezing temps on Friday! Looking forward to the next fly day though!

Greg