Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Radio Communication Voice Feedback Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Radio Communication Voice Feedback Question

I have a Zulu-2 headset and use a DRE D-205E portable intercom with PTT patched in to interface with panel jacks and communicate using my King KY97A radio. I can hear my own voice when I talk using this set-up. When I plug my headset and PTT directly into the panel jacks, bypassing the portable intercom, I cannot hear my own voice. Is there a way to turn on mic/voice feedback into my headphones?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Radio Communication Voice Feedback Question

I believe there is a modification you must make. Seems like to the PTT but it has been too many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    I have a Zulu-2 headset and use a DRE D-205E portable intercom with PTT patched in to interface with panel jacks and communicate using my King KY97A radio. I can hear my own voice when I talk using this set-up. When I plug my headset and PTT directly into the panel jacks, bypassing the portable intercom, I cannot hear my own voice. Is there a way to turn on mic/voice feedback into my headphones?
    Being me, I'd try winding up the sidetone output and see if that helps. Mark where the screw was before you adjust it so you can return it to where you found it if it doesn't help.
    The adjustment screw is on the top of the radio box (along with 3? others) if I recall, so you'll need an allen key to remove the radio (3/32"??), and a #1 phillips screwdriver to make the adjustment. E&OE.
    You can download the appropriate manual from the web for the appropriate diagram.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you tried calling the intercom manufacturer? A lot of times they have experienced compatability issues with other equipment and have a work around.

Post Thanks / Like

The DRE 205E intercom works fine. I hear my voice clearly. Everything works as it should when I use the intercom. It's when I disconnect the intercom and plug my PTT and headset directly into the panel jacks that I lose my own voice feedback. I was trying to save my intercom batteries when I fly alone, so thought I'd just leave it turned off, and bypass it. I assumed my voice feedback would still be there. Bad assumption. But you might be on to something Steve, since they have to figure out compatibility with everything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember a rework on some plug in push to talk switches with certain radios as well. Seems like you had to change a wire in the switch or something. Was to long ago to remember exactly. Seems like it was a David Clark PTT and King radio comparability issue. If only I had my 14 year old son's memory.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the plug rework solves the problem of no feed back with an Intercom. When I had that problem my radio had an adjustment for the side-tone that solved the problem.
    Attached is the plug mod.
    Attached Files Attached Files