Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper Charts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Paper Charts

Survey on how many still have and use paper charts (IFR, VFR)?

Yes- why
    No- why

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paper Charts

If you mean current, no. If you mean any then the answer is yes. Their battery never dies, they never lock up and they don’t require a signal. Don’t get me wrong, I like having the hand held GPS and the smart phone when they work and/or I have a place to mount them.

I prefer a WAC over a sectional but they have been discontinued. The WAC I keep in the airplane expired in 2007. I think it’s been about 3 years since I bought a sectional. Missouri provides a chart like a sectional but only covers the state. I get a current one any time I see a new one (they are free).

Post Thanks / Like

No.

They cost money, and take time to organize and keep up with and take up space to store at home and in the plane. My EFB subscription also costs money but the organization and tracking are off my plate and my iPad is always the same size. Plus we are moving to EFBs at work and it allows me to use the same system for work and personal use.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes!

I have never had a map fail period, but I have had several electronic failures over the years. Yes I can have a GPS mounted in the panel and a hand held GPS and my iPad, but they take more power and space than a map! I always have a paper chart in the plane with me at all times and more than once have been forced to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my charts for wrapping paper
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I like to see the big picture. Michigan still gives aeronautical charts yearly when we register our planes.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim I agree. If you expand an I-Pad out you have to have a magnifying glass to read it. It would have been fun flying around the country with a sectional chart no bigger than an I-Pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use my old charts for flight planning for the resons Fred stated. I like seeing the big picture which i tend to lose on the GPS, computer and tablet.

Post Thanks / Like

I use paper charts (current) for work. It's required, although they allow having foreflight as an option to use as long as the current charts are available in flight.

Post Thanks / Like

The three things I take always on a cross country flight are paper charts, my E-6B computer, and watch. I’ve had GPS failures, electrical failures but my “old school” maps and computer have gotten me out of trouble several times.