Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper Charts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Paper Charts

I use two mounted 8 inch tablet gps's for long cross country trips. Both are connected to power and one has an external antenna. I would like to have WAC charts....but. I enjoy laying out charts and picking routes but, conditions change. So I like the flexibility of GPS. My wife likes charts to follow, when she stays awake.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Use the tablet mostly, but I still carry them with me in the plane, and yes they are all outdated....

Post Thanks / Like

2500 hours flying with GPS and Loran and never had a failure. I always have paper charts (not up to date) and a spare GPS and batteries in addition to two mounted GPS’s with moving maps.
    Most importantly for me is to insure I compare my GPS purple line heading to my wet compass. In a GPS failure maintaining the wet compass heading will get me to my next airport.
    My battery power far exceeds my bladder.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-08-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just realized it’s been over a year since I used a paper aviation chart. I have been using my gps and/or the phone on the longer cross country flights. When not using digital I used select pages from a road atlas (I am not always headed to a published airport). Sometimes on familiar routes I just get airborne and point the nose in the general direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used my paper charts to wallpaper the bathroom at the hangar.... Also handy to look at cross country plans while seated!
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ