Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rivets for Flap Hinges

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rivets for Flap Hinges

I looked at the Piper drawings to find the type of Rivet used on the flap hinges on the PA-22 and found the flap hinge details, but no rivet specification. The square tube comes out of the wing and has a metal square block inserted into the tubes and secured with two rivets. I believe the rivets are AN470AD-4-14, but they are available in 1100 (soft) aluminum and 2117 (hard) aluminum. I would think since the rivets are stressed for sheer vs. compression that the 2117 harder rivet is the one to use. Does anyone know for sure?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rivets for Flap Hinges

They are steel rivets, AN435-4-14. Univair has them. Some more information in this thread.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...-Bracket/page2

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful when ordering the rivets from Univair, the unit quantity is lbs. not ea. I now have 10 lbs. instead of 10 ea. If you want to share in my mistake, PM me with your mailing address and I can send you some. Also the service document concerning the use of steel rivets is on Univair site http://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SL0216A.pdf
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 01-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, thanks for the quick help. I looked at Univair's on line catalog and was only able to find the whole flap hinge bracket assembly (U10703-002) for about $110. That is OK with me, I don't mind buying the whole assembly. From your experience, is there enough room to get the bracket out of the wing through access holes in the fabric? I'll take another look at the drawings tonight to see how it is fastened inside of the wing.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Be careful when ordering the rivets from Univair, the unit quantity is lbs. not ea. I now have 10 lbs. instead of 10 ea. If you want to share in my mistake, PM me with your mailing address and I can send you some. Also the service document concerning the use of steel rivets is on Univair site http://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SL0216A.pdf
    Thank you for your offer, I will PM you with my mailing address and will be glad to buy some off you. When I looked at the service letter I also found the part number for the "Bearing Block" 10921-000 at $19.32/PCs.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Love this site...ordered the correct rivets....moving the hinge block in 1/8” to compensate for the spar reinforcement plate thickness. Thought they were aluminum...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Love this site...ordered the correct rivets....moving the hinge block in 1/8” to compensate for the spar reinforcement plate thickness. Thought they were aluminum...

Why do you need to move the block in?

Post Thanks / Like

Adding the rear spar reinforcement which is 1/8” thick 2024T3. The spar reinforcement will move the flap hinge out 1/8”. Also need to create the spacers between the spar and the wing strut steel. Needs to be .350” thick. Will shave the 3/8” X 1” 2024 flat bar....by removing .025” off the spacer with the mill.