Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tubing repairs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubing repairs

I’m restoring a Vagabond and I’m about to get the fuselage blasted and primed. I have a few minor dents in a couple tubes and wondering how to handle them. Most are very minor (less than the tube thickness). One is maybe 1/8 deep and I am planning on welding a patch over that one per 43.13 specifications. Are there any rules of thumb or specification to further guide my actions. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tubing repairs

Sptom,

Having done what you are about to start on (I am recovering my Vagabond fuselage) I found quite a few tubes with pinhole corrosion. My inspector said the only fix was to replace the affected tube.
    I can't comment on dented tubes. That is probably down to your inspector's view. I had a "grooved" tube that was caused by the fuel tank chafing and that was fixed with a bit of welding.
    My Vagabond has been hangared for at least the last 39 years so was surprised to see this pin-hole corrosion but believe it is quite a common problem.
    Suggest you do a thorough inspection after blasting but before priming. Quite likely the blasting may show some areas that need attention...
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use the AC 43.13 as my guideline for dented tubes. Only repair process I know of.

Post Thanks / Like

AC43.13-1b chapter 4 is your guide! I’d suggest that you inspect your tubing closely, and poke around with an ice pick extensively. Use a Maule tester as well, same concept as the inspection of non-sealed struts. Of the half dozen cubs, TriPacers, t-crafts, and gliders that I’ve recovered over the years, very few didn’t need tube repairs. Most need the last couple feet of the lower longerons replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You might wait till you get it back from blasting and before primer, Brian thought my tubes were in pretty good shape but after it got back from blasting, lot more pin hole corrosion became visible
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. That what I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. I certainly inspect closely after it is blasted. I’m hoping I’ll be okay as I’ve stripped the paint in a number of areas and the tubing looks good so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images