Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with rivets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with rivets

I can not find the AN455-A 3-4 rivets on the Aircraft Spruce web sight.
    Is the AN 470 a proper substitute?

Theo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with rivets

To my understanding, structurally they are the same (same material). I think the heads are a little different; the AN 470 head is rounded, while the AN 455 is (slightly) flattened on top. If you are replacing 1 rivet in a row of AN455's, it may "stand out" .... not to me, but to perhaps a judge (or someone who nit-picks. I haven't looked for any AN455's, but I bet they are pretty hard to find.

If you are trying to match existing rivets, perhaps you could flatten the head of a AN470 to match, using a very jewlers file. I have never tried that, but if you are trying just to match 1 or 2 rivet heads, it might be worth a try???
    Last edited by Paul Watts; 01-31-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added 2nd line

Post Thanks / Like

AN455 is a Brazier head, AN470 or MS20470 are universal head. The 470 can be used to replace a 455, but the 455 head is a larger diameter and stands higher. A river set for a 455 won’t work for a 470 and vise versa. Years ago when doing a lot of work on the DC3 that later became Flagship Detroit, it took me about a week and a half to scout up about 5 lbs of AN455AD-4-5 rivets for the job. We knew the airplane was going to a museum and wanted it to look right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The brazier head rivets are used on the aileron and the flap and some rib parts in the "A" condition. The larger diameter head and soft rivet is needed to prevent the rivet from pulling or puckering the thin 3003 skins. Univair has the AN 455 style rivets in A condition. Hansen rivet supply sells the rivet set or squeezer sets that work with the brazier head.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all

Post Thanks / Like

To answer the question yes you can substitute a 470 for a 455. If they are not seen which most on a short wing are not I see nothing wrong if they don’t match the others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like Todd mentions the AN455 rivet has a wider head than the AN470. Sometimes people assume the larger head is a -4 rivet and drill with a #30 bit instead of the #40 for the -3 rivet.

Post Thanks / Like

Minor correction here, the “A”, “AD”, “D”, “DD” . . . In rivet part numbers does not define “Condition”, it identifies the alloy the rivet is made from. A indicated 1100-F, AD indicates 2117-T4, D indicates 2017-T4, DD indicates 2024-T4, M indicates Monel. There are other materials, but you get the idea.

The A rivets are very soft, and the added surface contact area of the 455 head make it ideal for the delicate assemblies like the ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. I am getting trained up on riveting. These are an455 rivets After driving them they have a slight flat spot on the top.IMG_0733.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need AN455 rivet sets.