Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Convert pa22to a 20

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Convert pa22to a 20

Just purchased a damaged pa 22 with the nose gear ripped off and figured now would be a good time to set it on its tail. Have heard the original gear can be used to accomplish the con version. Jigging, welding are no problem, it's mainly the paperwork, i.e. 337, weight and balance. I know there are several stc out, but would like to try the 337 route. Does any one have some info that could help. Brand new to the org. And the short wing piper. Any help would would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Convert pa22to a 20

Welcome to the forum!

I'm no expert in the maintenance field, but I'm quite certain that you would have to do this modification by STC in this day and age.
    There are some very experienced craftsman on the site including DERs, so I'm sure they'll chime in soon and give you the correct answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Convert pa22to a 20

Normally the FAA won't issue a field aproval for something there is an STC for. I worked on a Pacer that they turned the gear around on via field approval many, many years ago. Didn't work because the fittings are further apart and they added fittings and structure but it still bent the lower longerons. The gear is shorter as well and makes for little prop clearance. Here is a thread on the subject with pictures. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ing-gear/page3