Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tires

What would be a good first time and size all around tundra tire 6 inch rims for concrete or grave/sand. Or is there such a thing.
    I tend to land on concrete the majority of the time.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tires

Desser has some nice 8.50's that are a good middle of the road tire. Bushwheels are the softest but because of that they also wear the fastest on hard pack (also the priciest). Never played with the 26" Goodyears, someone else will have to chime in.
    Desser has some larger sizes too. Not sure about stc' s or eligibility for installation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

800 and 850 can dig into sand. 26" Goodyear is probably better for sand and concrete because of the wider font print. I have help get Super Cubs on 31" Bushwheels off their nose or unstuck when they pivot turned on one wheel with brake. I think ahead and make sweeping turns to avoid the inboard tire digging in. It all depends on the conditions and bigger works better but for every positive there is a negative, drag and weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Something I learned about bushwheels. I saw a super cub with major horizontal stab damage from landing in a rocky area, the bushwheel cupped and threw a rock which hit the stab. Must have been a good sized rock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I operate predominately on gravel and although I see a lot of erosion on my prop I have not seen any issues on my stabilizers. There is no tread to grab the rocks so less throwing than a treaded tire. If you roll through the mud and then the rocks you need to scrape the rocks off the tires because they sling everywhere. Cost my brother a prop. The 3" extended gear and 31" Bushwheels help keep the prop out of the gravel and I try to accelerate a bit slower on take off and keep the tail lower.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Steve when it comes to gravel and mud. From what I understand the low pressure of bushwheel allows them to cup a large rock and possibly some vacuum involved in picking up the rock.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill look into the Goodyear 26" sound like a good option. I have 31" bushwheels that came with the plane when I bought it but have cracking that looks like it is down to the cord. Don't believe they are air worthy anymore.
    How different do landings/ takoffs feel with the bigger tires? Anything that i nerd to be careful about?

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shermanj1 View Post
    What would be a good first time and size all around tundra tire 6 inch rims for concrete or grave/sand. Or is there such a thing.
    I tend to land on concrete the majority of the time.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Desser 8.50 smooth or Goodyear 26

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I flew with 26's for several years on my Pacer. I liked them as a good combination for hard and soft surface and cost. They were much better than the 8.50's for off airport landings. I fly with BW 29's now, which are great for off field but, they do wear out. I am on my second set now. I tried the new Dresser 8.50's in between ordering my second set of BW's.....hmmm, not the same. I'm not sure why they are called Tundra tires, maybe for non paved strips.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

How are the landings and takeoffs with the 26's? Anything i should expect or be careful with while transitioning to the bigger tires.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org