Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Grandson's Latest Flying Adventure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grandson's Latest Flying Adventure

Well Guys,
    I thought I would tell you about Grandson Chad's latest adventure.
    This started last July when he went to Yakima, WA. to be the builder in the builder assistance program of a Cub Crafter's FX-3 Cub for Mike, a dealer friend of ours. Chad helps him out when his busy schedule allows. He is a Business Major with a 3.8 GPA and a senior at Texas A&M. He will finish this June and do it in 3 years..
    Over the Christmas break he went to Yakima to finalize the paper work and assemble the Cub. It is called a Cub BUT this isn't your Grandfather's Yellow Cub fer sure. Performance is Outstanding along with the Price. You can check out the details on line.
    Well on 2-23 there were 3 Cubs to pick up in Yakimaw so Mike gave Chad a call for help. Mike and new owner flew the blue one that Chad built, Chad flew a Certificated one going to Austin/Dallas, A dealer from Mich. flew one to NY.
    Saturday Chad arrived in Yakima to get prepared for an early Sunday morning blast off. Well new owner's Sat. flight to Yakima was cancelled so he didn't get there till later Sunday. The three left Sunday afternoon but were only able to get about 70 miles South do to whether. Monday morning they got a little further but had to turn around a ways father do to more whether.
    So Tuesday the Sun Gods shine down on them and off they go from Northern Idaho, one to OK City, one to Mich/NY. and Chad to Austin, Texas. The three flew to a little past Santa Fe then headed for their own locations. Chad made it to Austin at 9:30 pm after a flight of 1400+- miles and 13 hours. That my friends is a hell of a long day of flying a Cub. Yes he was in class Wednesday morning.
    Here are a few pictures of the trip..
    This is an OUTSTANDING video of the trip. What a beautiful country we live in. https://quik.gopro.com/v/WQr26NSljb/
    In North ID. Chad, Mich. Guy, new owner, Mike

The Cub Chad flew with 17 hours on it.

The one Chad built

Chad and Mike

Time to turn around Boys

Great Salt Lake

Canyon Lands Park

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grandson's Latest Flying Adventure

What an epic journey! I am sure those pics don't do it what it deserves.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez the young fella leads a tough life.......but then I suppose someone has to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Explored Canyonlands and that area by RV 2 years ago, way too hot!! I like the AIR idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool images!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like a fun trip. So I take it he is listed as the builder of the Carbon Cub?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Looks like a fun trip. So I take it he is listed as the builder of the Carbon Cub?
    Steve,
    Mike formed an LLC for Chad and the plane is registered as built in Chad's LLC. I'm really not to sure how all this stuff works

Manufacturer Name FX AVIATION LLC Certificate Issue Date 01/25/2018

Post Thanks / Like

Where is that million likes button!!!!!!!!!
    I have wanted to experience that desert country for as long as I can remember, the opportunity hasn't lined up yet - one day.
    Cheers from down under.
    HunterJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HunterJ View Post
    Where is that million likes button!!!!!!!!!
    I have wanted to experience that desert country for as long as I can remember, the opportunity hasn't lined up yet - one day.
    Cheers from down under.
    HunterJ

HunterJ,
    Thanks, Hope you get to see that area someday. I flew through that area last Dec when we brought the Howard from Walla Walla WA. to Houston area. It is a spectacular area of the U. S.