Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piston rings for O-290 D2 need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piston rings for O-290 D2 need help

Did they cut the rear cylinders 10 over and reuse std rings or reused 10 over rings in the 10 over cylinders. Used std rings in 10 over cylinders will yield excessive ring end gap and will take forever if at all to conform to the cylinder. Chrome the rear cylinders to match the front would be the best in my opinion. Any notes on piston weights in the logs? If they are not in spec it will increase the vibration.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like they reused 10 over rings on 2 -10 over cylinders. Invoice is marked..used serviceable parts 62916 P10 ring piston top compression and 69401 P10 oil ring. There was other work done to the cylinders but nothing about reboring to oversize. No note on piston weights, simply cleaned, inspected, found pistons to be serviceable.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try to rehone the cylinders and see if the rings seat. Long shot but might work.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a note from one stop aviation and they advised me that they did not use the old rings, they simply didn't charge me for them as my bill was already quite high. I've asked them if they can get me some new oversized rings and they will let me know Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard back from "one stop" even after a nice reminder note so not so good. Those cylinders are 10thou oversized and they are matched with 10thou oversized pistons and rings.
    I've decided to chrome them back to standard so now im on the hunt for 2 good useable standard sized pistons..anyone here know where to find a pair??

Post Thanks / Like

Finding rings shouldn't be too hard, IF your pistons are still good. If the ring lands are worn out, new rings wouldn't get you much. If it were a customer of mine, I'd recommend chroming those cylinders. Then you'd have four cylinders of similar age that you'd be hard pressed to wear out in the next decade or two.

Post Thanks / Like

I did finally find some new oversized rings but as the other poster suggested it would make sense to chrome them But I need 2 serviceable pistons and right now I haven't found any.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a fairly good stock of serviceable pistons for O-290 & 320 engines. They came from a friend who used to do overhauls. Can you provide the P/N that you are looking for?
    The upside is I may have what you need...Downside? I am on the road and won't be home until the 15th!
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mark,
    Here's hoping that you have a couple. I think the part number is 69841...Robert