Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Streched Pacer Frame Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Streched Pacer Frame Question

Not knowing alot about Pacers, if i were to build a streched Pacer or tripacer, is a either a pacer or tripacer frame a better place to start or preferred for this?? Which one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Streched Pacer Frame Question

I have a stretched pacer fuselage here in my hanger. It started out as a Tri Pacer. My opinion is that it really would not matter. Most people stretching a pacer would want to put PA-18 gear under it so your going to be reworking the u set carriage anyways. I guess you would be a little ahead of the game if the front mounts were already in place. It with the way I had planned to beef mine up I would have replaced them anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Is any guys with good jigs around to do the frame part of it? I have a supercub now that i built, but there a neat airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bushmaster STC calls for a late model Tri Pacer. Although, I don't see how it matters for experimental. I kept my Pacer gear on mine, which I beefed up a bit.

Stretching the frame with a complete steel airframe jig is nice but not necessary. I built a wooden jig.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you Lou? How much of the "frame" do you need? Just the aft section?

Post Thanks / Like

Im in North Dakota, i dont want to get people too involved here to waste everyones time. just trying to ask some basic questions. i have a 0-320 b2b on a stand. And if i would decide to go through with an endevor like this, its looking what i need to do is find a nice framed, no rust, pacer or tripacer thats motorless, and ive got connections to supercub wings. It would be light, for electrical, just starter and battery, nothing else. vfr plane. But i sure would like to hear any ideas if someone would like to take the time.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good engine to use. Having SC wings is helpful and the basic fuselage should be reasonable to find.

The wings will need to be disassembled so you can move the ailerons and lengthen the flaps, you should also reinforce the spars as specified in the plans. The fuselage work will be dependent on what changes you want, adding a left door, skylight and SC gear are all separated jobs but, make it a better plane.

When finished it will be a great plane.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, thinking 1/2 flap 1/2 aileron for lengths, close to yours, dual doors, skylight, 18 gear, even control stick instead of yokes, how did yours turn out with the sticks? Any possibility of posting a picture up close of the controls? I watched mark ericksons of dakota cub go together way back when he built that, i could have never have sold it if it were mine. That was or is a nice one.
    Last edited by lycoming lou; 04-04-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

lou

I would prefer a later model fuselage just because the flap handle is already in place....... unless you're gonna put it over head ............ but especially for the individual seat tracks. I have some tail sections already tacked if interested up but I would suggest building up your own just because the shipping would be too costly. It isn't hard to do if you are a fabricator/builder. ......... you must be if you are thinking about building a stretch. Besides the left door I put in Maule type rear doors on the left side to make loading large items easier. I put up a pic of the centerline drawing here some time ago....... guy named D.A was interested in it at the time. I should have the basic long version of the wing together in a couple months or so. Using the full 17 foot length of the spar extrusions, they have 133" flaps with almost 17" chord and ailerons are 67" with a 20" chord. Aileron profile resembles that of a Citabria. You would have to put in some spar reinforcements similar to bushmaster if you go with bigger and/or more outboard ailerons.

No matter what you do find a good DAR of federally to work with concerning the "51% rule". You folks out west and NW don't seem to have the problems we have around here. They can be outright dicks the farther east you go.................. quite unreasonable. They tell me I need to buy a "kit" and not build from plans, not scratch build or modify anything..........

Post Thanks / Like

thank you, i respect your opinions very much on this. i built my house, my shop, my airplane, so like for everyone theres some, no alot of questioning onesself on another project. But I like experimental, tubing, fabric. And Theres a lot of neat looking bushmasters around. And if i would buy one allready done, with these forums it gives great insight on what to look for or whats available. and maybe others will learn from it also.