Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stewart Systems - Is top coat req'd?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart Systems - Is top coat req'd?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff J View Post
    I get “video not found” when I click the link.
    https://youtu.be/EIt52zP27TA

Try the link I just pasted above. I just got it directly from the video on You Tube. You can also find the video on the Stewart System’s website. Note that according to the narrator the original topcoat can be used on a minor repair, but on a major repair, the STC requires the use of the SS topcoat.

Fabricman

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

had same trouble, that one works, thanks
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." - Fred Brooks

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the feedback, again the original question was about using Stewart's Syst thru primer then NO topcoat of any kind. The goal was to not mess with 2 part systems and stick with brushing only.

The work is not complete yet, but we already had the materials for both Stits or Stewart's (we've used both of these systems in the past on various aircraft) so in the end we decided to just use Stits (Poly Fiber), as the rest of the plane utilizes this system.

Steve, to address your question:
    Why would you want to recover those areas? I have seen the paint etc crack and look bad.
    These areas have been giving us trouble for years. The paint is not in good shape and I did use the Stits rejuvenator a few years ago as well as re-taping a few areas. In the past at some point, somebody installed quite large rectangular aluminum inspection panels near the wing roots just forward of the flap cove, these drum in the prop wash and do not have a particularly good reinforcement on the fabric. By starting fresh with new fabric we think we can get better adhesion to the structure and install traditional (round) inspection panels. At the same time, while these patches of fabric are removed it will give better than normal access to really inspect the fuel system, wing roots, etc.