Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Leaked on Fuselage

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fuel Leaked on Fuselage

I know the airplane. It sat there for a long time when neither the owner or Bryant were flying. I think it is going to need quite a bit of work to get airworthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I know the airplane. It sat there for a long time when neither the owner or Bryant were flying. I think it is going to need quite a bit of work to get airworthy.
    Bryant said last annual Aug 2006 and was flown for about another year. He said he has tried to make a ground engine run once a month since then (I guess there are different schools of thought as to whether that is helpful or harmful...); TTSMO 970hrs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shawrco View Post
    Bryant said last annual Aug 2006 and was flown for about another year. He said he has tried to make a ground engine run once a month since then (I guess there are different schools of thought as to whether that is helpful or harmful...); TTSMO 970hrs
    In my opinion the worst thing you can do to a long disused engine it to run it on the ground every so often. I had 2 planes trailered to me from WA. One, an Ercoupe, had the engine run once a month or so for 10 years. The crank, cam, lifters were toast--pitted and galled. The other an Aeronca Champ had sat maybe 100 feet away for the same length of time, but the engine was never even rotated.( no prop) The engine was fine and is flying unopened today.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

At a minimum to get it to hold gas it needs new front and rear outlet rubber hoses just from sitting dry. New quick drain o ring or drain assembly. I would go ahead with a new sending unit gasket as well. Not a lot price wise for parts but very time consuming to change out away from home since you won’t have that one “special” tool you need. I don’t even want to think about firewall forward. Like Steve said it’s going to take a lot more than a quick drain to get it airworthy.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talked to my friends a few hangers down and they have not been able to get the airplane started. From what I remember this airplane is a project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talked to my friends a few hangers down and they have not been able to get the airplane started. From what I remember this airplane is a project.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, Mr. Rowland said last time he tried to start the engine it wouldn't. He said it had carburetor issues. Besides that and the fuel leak he said the bungies needed to be replaced. The Craigslist ad has other photos, they didn't post any showing the fuel leak damagehttps://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/d/1956-piper-tri-pacer-airplane/6533083769.html
    Mr. Rowland did follow up with answer to question about covering with "at 10/18/70 and TT 1518 hrs stripped, cleaned and recovered using Stits Polyfiber process. PO bought the plane shortly after and it's been hangared at F14 since." Thanks for all the feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just tried the link to make sure it works and got a screen saying "the ad has been removed by it's author". Mr. Rowland said they were going to put it on Barnstormers and Trade-a-Plane so I guess that's what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What are your expectations on this airplane? What work and $ amount do you expect or are prepared to spend to get it flying?

Post Thanks / Like

What are your expectations on this airplane? What work and $ amount do you expect or are prepared to spend to get it flying?
    Mine had a leak on the fuel sending unit gasket that did that.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk