Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Modiflying Engine Bushing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Modiflying Engine Bushing

Good afternoon I need to replace my engine bushings on my O290-d 125Hp. It has been over 20 years and actually having a bit of a problem finding Part Number 60883 here in Canada. Even the ones that still have stock, are charging over twice as much as the common O-320 71032. Looking at this photo I found on this site, can one just cut the lip off the 71032 to make it close to a 60883? I'm not worried about legalities as my engineer is very easy going. Just wondering what guys are doing on here.

test.jpg

John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Modiflying Engine Bushing

https://www.wagaero.com/lycoming-bus...d-as-each.html

Ive used these on my tripacer and pacer and they work great, cant beat the price either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JVader View Post
    https://www.wagaero.com/lycoming-bus...d-as-each.html

Ive used these on my tripacer and pacer and they work great, cant beat the price either.
    Those are the 71032 for the O290D2 and 320 Series. The original O290-D uses 60883.

Post Thanks / Like

We have an 0-290-D2 and ours uses the 60883 bushings. We actually found that we had the wrong bushings installed (#71032) and have corrected it with the right part. The hole in the engine mount is actually a different size. We found that on ours it was a 1" part was being crammed into a 7/8" hole. I actually used a hole-gauge to make sure what the diameter of the mount hole was. 7/8" fit...1" didn't.

See the thread that the original picture above came from: http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hlight=bushing
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    We have an 0-290-D2 and ours uses the 60883 bushings. We actually found that we had the wrong bushings installed (#71032) and have corrected it with the right part. The hole in the engine mount is actually a different size. We found that on ours it was a 1" part was being crammed into a 7/8" hole. I actually used a hole-gauge to make sure what the diameter of the mount hole was. 7/8" fit...1" didn't.

See the thread that the original picture above came from: http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hlight=bushing

Sounds good all keep the hunt for 8 60883

Thanks

John

Post Thanks / Like

We bought both P/N's from Univair. The 60883 was $18.75each (times 8pcs required) and the 71032 were only $8.99each. Not exactly knowing which we needed due to conflicting information, I wanted to have both on hand when we pulled off the old parts. Didn't want to not have the correct parts to put it back together. You can always return them if you want.

Once we pulled an old rubber off we used the plug gauge to determine whether we had the 7/8" or 1" mounting hole. Turned out we had the 7/8" -which is NOT what some people said should be on our 0-290D2 engine. Not sure what you will find on yours.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

We bought both P/N's from Univair. The 60883 was $18.75each (times 8pcs required) and the 71032 were only $8.99each. Not exactly knowing which we needed due to conflicting information, I wanted to have both on hand when we pulled off the old parts. Didn't want to not have the correct parts to put it back together. You can always return them if you want.

Once we pulled an old rubber off we used the plug gauge to determine whether we had the 7/8" or 1" mounting hole. Turned out we had the 7/8" -which is NOT what some people said should be on our 0-290D2 engine. Not sure what you will find on yours.

The log book said in 1993 installed 8 60883. So I will assume it very well uses the same mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Being a rubber piece it's easier to put 'square block in a round hole' as was done on ours. The 71032`s that we pulled out didn't look very good because of that but they were in there. Being such a pia to change on an installed engine even with the right part, I'm sure they simply thought any fit issue was normal when they were putting them in.
    One thing that I have learned on these old planes is that just because that is how a previous mechanic did it doesn't mean that they did it correctly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Being a rubber piece it's easier to put 'square block in a round hole' as was done on ours. The 71032`s that we pulled out didn't look very good because of that but they were in there. Being such a pia to change on an installed engine even with the right part, I'm sure they simply thought any fit issue was normal when they were putting them in.
    One thing that I have learned on these old planes is that just because that is how a previous mechanic did it doesn't mean that they did it correctly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Guarantee the mechanic that had it would be correct. I just wanted to know if there was alternatives to the part in question. Doesn't sound like it.

John