Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: My first solo flight

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first solo flight

31 years ago, a day after my sixteenth birthday, I soloed a J-3 Cub that belonged to a good friend. Yesterday 31 years to the day I took the same Cub owned by the same friend and flew it solo off the same airport, East Kansas City Airport, 3GV. Lucked out that the wind was down the same runway. The flight was just as much fun and memorable as the first one. That made me think how many have done this, or what did you first solo and where. Is the airport still there since they seem to disappear nowadays.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My first solo flight

Your story makes me wish that I could take a flight in the J3 I owned in the 70's. Thanks for sharing.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to again, but it will not be possible. The C150 I solo'd in was wadded up by a student and CFI only a couple years after I solo'd while trying to do a soft field take-off from one of my favorite grass strips. The first TD I solo'd in is the PA-22/20 I still own so I get to relive it regularly. I wish I could repeat my first TD flight which was in a Grumman Goose. I was too young to get the tail number.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm coming up on my 64th year since my solo in April 1954. Runway gone, Aeronca Champ gone, youth gone--I'm gonna get a time machine and go back.

Paul
    Salome, AZ