Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Prop on a 180hp Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wooden Prop on a 180hp Pacer

I've all but pulled the trigger on upgrading to an O-360. Don't really want the Sensenich metal prop that is called out in the STC. Don't really want the boat anchor Mccauley (forty something pounds!). Thinking the Sensenich W8CM80xx that Eddie Trimmer has an STC on would do the trick. But, I would like some info from people that have flown one to know if it really would perform or not. I'm thinking 45" pitch, and the composite covering should hold up just fine. Plane is hangared.

So, who has flown this prop and what did you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wooden Prop on a 180hp Pacer

Cory Kittery on the Super Cub site has t G at prop on his 180 HP Super Cub and likes it. He is in Alaska.

Post Thanks / Like

Catto is a wooden prop with a composite covering and seems to hold up fine. I like a wooden prop.

I've often through about an 0-360 but, my 0-320-160 with LyConn port and polish, electronic ignition and Sutton I believe matches a stock 0-360. Although, an 0-360 can be upped.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I'll look up Mr. Kittery on the Super Cub site, see what he has to say. Eddie was saying yesterday that the FAA was wanting him to add the Super Cub and its derivatives to the STC because of all the field approvals being sent in.

I've never had the chance to fly behind a wood prop. From what I'm told the big things will be the smoothness as the wood absorbs vibration and the extra power going to thrust and not to spinning a big 'ole fly wheel.
    I will be having Lycon do a port and polish as well as balancing the rotating assembly. Should see a little bump in power but I'm mostly looking forward to it running smooth as silk. I will do a thread on the build up and install, should be fun!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not cheap but, electronic ignition will also smooth out the engine. I was impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    It's not cheap but, electronic ignition will also smooth out the engine. I was impressed.
    What manufacturer did you use for the electronic ignition?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KSG View Post
    What manufacturer did you use for the electronic ignition?
    Electroair. I. Also found that the engine starts quicker.r
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-14-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the website at sensenich to view spec on the prop, curious what pitch in wood would be similar or same performance to
    a given metal pitch dash number. Also same the white coated prop was not part of the STC.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie recommended the 45" pitch. Figures it'd give about 115 mph cruise but still good climb performance. Think he said they put 41" on a plane and it climbed great but not much cruise.

When I inquired about the prop to sensenich they gave me a price on the coated and uncoated. Which leads me to believe paperwork wise there is no difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I'll look up Mr. Kittery on the Super Cub site, see what he has to say. Eddie was saying yesterday that the FAA was wanting him to add the Super Cub and its derivatives to the STC because of all the field approvals being sent in.

I've never had the chance to fly behind a wood prop. From what I'm told the big things will be the smoothness as the wood absorbs vibration and the extra power going to thrust and not to spinning a big 'ole fly wheel.
    I will be having Lycon do a port and polish as well as balancing the rotating assembly. Should see a little bump in power but I'm mostly looking forward to it running smooth as silk. I will do a thread on the build up and install, should be fun!
    I purchased new ECI Titan Cylinder assemblies for my O-360. They posted the weights and were matched from the factory. BJ's documented my weights on my connecting rods which varied by a total of 4 grams. I am close to seeing how it feels and performs. Perhaps I can find my way to your neck of the woods for a test flight.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app