Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reviving a V-6 stol

Post Thanks / Like

Default reviving a V-6 stol

Yup thats right, rebuilding this airplane after a bad landing by former owner, i thought it looked fun! ill keep ya posted
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: reviving a V-6 stol

Dave Blanton would be happy!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting looking mod. Give us more details.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

A friend back in Ohio built one back in the early 90s. basically extended fuselage and wing as I remember.
    The ford V-6 (if I remember correctly) had good hp but didn't seem cruise as fast as my Pacer.
    I do remember he had problems with the cooling system. Water cooling seemed to be quite different.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

its basically a blanton conversion, has the v-6 built up with weisco pistons, reground cam, holly, and a joe hunt magneto built for it, the airframe is really cool, it has an adjustable waste gate on bottom, scoops are on side making better intake to radiator, and it has a spring gear off an L-19 . both sides gull doors and a fantastic panel!. owner forgot to remove cooling scoop plugs and went flying, when it heated up he put it in a field tearing a gear out.
    its already repaired and waiting for the engine, which should be done soon. i know i know,, ive always been a airplane engine guy, but im gonna try this, he had it tweaked and quite
    reliable before making a terrible mistake. he put well over 100 hrs on it trouble free before "causing trouble" lets see how this thing does!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default reviving a V-6 stol

I have a Ford V6 Blanton engine on a stand with prop in my hanger, removed for Lycoming O-360, I would be happy to make someone else a proud owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a friend outside of Tulsa with a Blanton V6 engine he removed as well.

Flew to Sun & Fun with a Wag Aero 2+2 with a Blanton V6. It performed very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks very nice. Like the cowl design, looks like it comes off in two halves side to side.

Post Thanks / Like

cowl is actually hinged at top. it can open and lock in an open position. i would love to talk to someone who flew one of these personally to get some real input, , so if you or anyone flew a blanton, please can we have a phone conversation?