Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing bad paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Removing bad paint?

Is there a feasible way to remove a bad paint job or is better to grab the razor and go to work? No one seems to be able to name the paint but every fabric surface is crazed and when looking from the inside you can see every crack. The base process appears to be Stits/Poly-Fiber. I didn't look at the log to see when it was done. It hasn't been that long since re-cover because I remember when the aircraft was red (less than 10 years).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Removing bad paint?

Trying to remove large areas of painted surface on fabric would be horrible. It be a mess and likely ruin the fabric, if it worked. Consider light sanding, spray a primer fill coat, sand again then repaint the top coat.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how Superflight System 7 with it’s sandable fabric primer and urethane top coat would work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

If its polybrush and polycoat it will wipe right off with MEK

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrHook3960 View Post
    If its polybrush and polycoat it will wipe right off with MEK
    I've done it, it does not leave a nice clean surface because it eats into the fill coats. I ended up doing a lot of sanding. And, the final finish was ........OK.
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-16-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The sealer appears to be Poly-Brush. The fabric is a pink color inside. I have no clue what the topcoat is and even the people who did the paint job can't tell me what they used. I am guessing for all the effort that stripping with MEK and the hazards associated with it, it may be easier to just to cut it off and start over. The owner passed away last fall and he had experimented with different ways of fixing the paint but I don't know what all he tried. There is a spot that looks sanded and the fabric is fuzzy there. There is another that looks like he tried to strip it. There is MEK and rejuvenator in his hangar.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about a complete aircraft recover job?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Are you talking about a complete aircraft recover job?
    Yes. The cracks are in every square inch of fabric on the airframe. I can’t remember off the top of my head what has fabric and what doesn’t. The fuselage and wings for sure but most of the tail and maybe the ailerons are metal. I am trying to come up with a feasible and economical way to help the family. The aircraft is a Stinson.

If anyone is looking for a project I think the family is asking $7K as is. It flew into the airport 4(?) years ago and I don’t think it would take much to fly it out. The owner was diagnosed with cancer not long after he bought it so progress was spotty while he fought the cancer. I ran it for his grandson in February. I think it’s a good airplane. He did a lot of work to the interior but the exterior is hard on the eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have mentioned that I have never covered an aircraft. The closest I have been to the procedure was when I went to Graham, TX for a weekend to see the Stewart System demonstrated. I do know aircaft can be full of surprises. I would probably buy the airplane for myself just for the experience if I didn’t already have a C-150 and Hutch conversion PA-25 project (along with 2 Willys CJ projects). Stinsons are a pain to work on but they fly great. However, I need to finish and sell a couple of things before adding more.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 04-17-2018 at 09:49 PM.