Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Post Thanks / Like

Default Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Pulled the trigger on upgrading to a 180hp. Figured if I have to spend money it better be on improvements.
    Picked up an O-360-A1D narrow deck in town. About 1800 hrs on it total, but it was pulled when it number 2 ate a valve.

Using the Trimmer STC for the install. Already have his fuel STC so I'm good there.

I'm putting a solid crank in it, and giving the overhauled hollow crank that was in it back to the guy as payment.

Other things I decided on are Lycon port and flow balance of the cylinders as well as having them balance the rotating assembly. I'm also picking up the DLC coated tappets, with one of their "special grind" camshafts. The price of which I thought was a good deal.

Also am picking up a newer style sump. The old style has 1-1/2" runners that are belled out to 1-3/4"; whereas the newer style is 1-3/4" throughout.

Ordering Eddie's wood prop STC and putting on a Sensenich W80CM8-45.

Main goal is to have a good performing SMOOTH engine and prop setup.

Unloaded, disassembled, and boxed up the engine yesterday. Four boxes $370 in shipping later and now I play the waiting game. Lycon said 4 week minimum, Hines at Nicksons stated 6-8.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Engine came with the strait style old filter adapter. Anyone have an angled style laying around they'd like to trade?

Didn't get much pictures of the disassembly. Will try harder as I go.

But here is a shot of some case fretting. Not too bad, I've seen worse. Pretty sure it'll machine out no problem.

And a shot of the gears more for me when I reassemble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LyCon also does a crank gear modification you might ask them about.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a new one coming.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the difference between a stock cam and the "special grind"? Is it for more power I assume?

Post Thanks / Like

Supposedly. Between that and the reasonable price is why I went for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned up the accessory case. Had to clamp down and really reef on the filter wrench to get the oil filter off. Apparently it and the adapter got really acquainted after they sat like that for 12 years. Pulled everything off, scraped the old gaskets off, then scotchbrited the gasket shellac off. After that gave it a bath in the parts washer using a stainless steel toothbrush for scrubbing.
    Washed it off and blew it dry afterwards. Came out pretty good but I'd still like to get some of the carbon out of the oil galleys. Anybody have any good ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain brother! I'm close... painting soon, gear alignment, run-in and then I get to learn to fly all over again! My awesome mechanics were able to fit the O360 very nicely, however took a lot of carving on the lower cowl to accommodate the lower and forward carb. Turned out very nice. Trimmer had to relieve some of the stiffeners on the lower cowl, but with the Sutton exhaust, there was lots of space! While a major was way out of my budget, I am glad that we took the plunge... we found many surprises along the way. So, looking forward it seems like a long time, but looking backward, it is still a long time, but not so bad on this side. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Methylene chloride used in carb cleaners and paint strippers is an excellent carbon remover. It may be hard to find as it is on the Republic of California’s list of unattainables.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Send it to Divco or Crankcase Services and they will tank it and alodine it gold like the crankcase.