Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

I intended to use the plenum as called out in the STC, but ultimately chose not to. I installed a Vernatherm and am finding that on the hottest day on a climb, the oil never gets over 200, but mostly is pegged at 180. It will be interesting to see what the winter brings. I really enjoy your photo's and admire your workmanship!
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! The photos are flattering as there is not enough detail in them to see all the little "discrepancies".
    I liked the idea of the door, we'll see how it works out. But had I thought of the vernatherm before hand, well, I probably would have went with that as it would've made a simpler install.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have found now that summer is here, seldom get over 200 without any blockage on oil cooler.
    Last winter and spring when temps below 60-70, needed some small blockage to get above 180.
    with a temp at altitude near 35-40 F, need to block 70-80% of air off to oil cooler.
    I'm just using a slide in "shutter" between the oil cooler and baffle. Used the orange baffle matterial
    for the shutter. May have posted some pics earlier.

back last winter - spring when I was still running it hard, now with summer and engine broke in I am
    usually using 19" MP. Have not done a long flt time with summer temps to see how high it gets.\
    right now we are flying around with 95-100 f at 5-6000'

andy

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds promising as I was concerned about heat for some reason.
    So I was standing in the shop looking at the engine and it dawned on me, I think it has a Vernatherm built into the oil filter adapter. If I'm right it's the component behind the nut that's safetied below the filter.
    If that's the case then the air door is likely redundant.20180422_183822.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Mine has a Vernatherm in old oil screen case (no spin on filter) , and in the colder temps blocking some the air thru the oil filter is still necessary
    if you want to maintain at least 180 on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Dry fit the new exhaust. Then figured out good locations for the EGT's and installed those.
    The slip fittings on the crossovers makes life so much simpler when installing/uninstalling the exhaust.
    Man that tailpipe is massive when you mount everything on.20180731_205735.jpg20180731_205801.jpg20180731_205749.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking good Jason. Curious about your primer line nuts not fitting. I have always gotten them from Spruce without issue. I do know there are two different thread pitches available. Engine looks great, love all the pictures and details. I also agree with Andy, vernatherm or not you are gonna need the door or something like it to get the oil warm in winter.

Post Thanks / Like

They are the coarse nuts that where on the primers that came off the O-320. It just had copper lines with compression ferrules. They would fit over the stainless tubing but not over the end fitting (forgot the proper name). It was easy to remedy though.
    Thanks, hardest part for me is remembering to take a picture. I get involved and forget, then remember, and once in a while might have to backtrack just a bit to get a photo that makes sense.
    Good to know my head scratching on the door was not in vain.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, just rebuilt a couple kohler primers as of late and have discovered the very early ones
    used a compression nut with finer threads than what ACE hdwr and Aircraft Spruce had
    (ACS 61SM-02 - Nut And Sleeve Assembly 1/8" 5/16-24), where did you find the
    other threaded type and do you remember if the thread was finder that the 1/15-24??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

5/16x32 Wicks says the AN805-2 is 5/16x32. http://aircraftproducts.wicksaircraf...05-nut/an805-2

Spruce doesn't say but I am almost sure that is where I got them. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=3014828

Found this spec as well.
    https://military-fasteners.com/fitti...g-nuts/AN805-2