Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

My split nose bowl has a strip of carbon fiber around the lip. The nut plates are pop riveted to that. After 14 years I have had one pull out. Think I’ll try Vagabondblues method with the clickbond to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaning towards the click bond more and more as well.

On a side note, just picked up a project for this winter.20180530_133800.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I don't always click on the photos but I had to back and look at your PMA'ed part: Pet Manufacturing Athority

Just dragged these into the yard to repair and build up for a local cub

image.jpg

Atlle shoo hop makes complete water rudder assemblies stainless post not cheap but lifetime parts of quality. $800 a side but instant joy without lost motion anywhere.

Rocket
    Last edited by rocket; 05-30-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know on the atlee dodge parts. These floats where clipped by a loader moving snow during "Snowpocalypes" back on 2012, been sitting ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Christmas came again, motor mount showed up in the mail. 20180530_174245.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    I don't always click on the photos but I had to back and look at your PMA'ed part: Pet Manufacturing Athority

Just dragged these into the yard to repair and build up for a local cub

image.jpg

Atlle shoo hop makes complete water rudder assemblies stainless post not cheap but lifetime parts of quality. $800 a side but instant joy without lost motion anywhere.

Rocket
    How do you roll the bead around the inspection holes for the o-ring?

Post Thanks / Like

It's crazy summertime here. I've been so busy I don't know if I've lost my horse or found a piece of rope.
    But my engine case came in and I got it all masked up for paint.
    And I got the firewall patched and put together. Found out the firewall insulation kit doesn't compress so I had to trim around the spots it makes contact with the fuselage. Glued the insulation in place and then a piece of fire retardant vinyl to purdy it up. Yeah it could have been fancier but it's good enough for who it's for.
    Oh and I overhauled the mags, just didn't get much for pics as I spent lots of time referencing the overhaul manual. But here is a picture where I'm getting ready to set the "e" gap.20180604_164247.jpg20180610_204108.jpg20180607_190440.jpg20180609_155325.jpg20180610_143634.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    How do you roll the bead around the inspection holes for the o-ring?
    oh that's easy, roll up $150 and send to Kenmoor/Edo! I was short three and after digging around and finding none just bit the bullet. Don Lee said he makes them on a leath but he said they're not pretty. Need to make some that float! A lanyard is a bad idea cause they can do more then $150 damage beating the side of the float but I wouldn't know about that, I do know a seatbelt gets ugly faster then you can get things cleaned up enough to reach over and open the door to pull the fabric poker back in.

I think a press would work but after you made the tool and gathered up all the parts, pressed and heat treat, paint, built them up. Well $150 doesn't sound that bad.

Ha, had to re-read your question.

You are asking about the skin on the top deck of the float right? Again, Kenmore sells a repair piece for that section, or at least they did have them at an AK Airmen show a few years ago...

hardest part is teaching people how to walk on the tops of these floats. Gotta smack-em on the back of the head with your ball cap or float pump when they step on the cover or pumpouts and they don't quickly adjust to the sound of a crushing beer can under their feet, well that or just push them into the water once or twice

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Zinc chromate (one coat) and Lycoming grey enamel on.
    I also learned that the accessory gear idler shafts should be updated to the style that use safety wire. I have the service instruction for it on my shop computer if anyone is interested. It requires drilling and tapping the case for 5/16" bolts instead of the 1/4" originally used. Honestly not that big a deal when it was all said and done. One of the pictures shows the difference between the old and new idler shafts. The new ones have an ear drilled for safety wire as well as a larger hole for the 5/16" bolts.20180611_192504.jpg20180612_195904.jpg20180617_152542.jpg20180617_153359.jpg20180617_161720.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Here is SI 1310A on the safety wired idler shafts.
    SI1310A Lockwire for Idler Shafts.pdf