Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Luggage compartment tiedown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Luggage compartment tiedown

Hi All

Does anyone have secure/structural tie down points in their luggage compartments? Interested in what is being done to tie down stuff back there?

Does anyone fly without the rear seats? Interested in what is done with the rear seat support across to the rear of the bottom seat - say loosened and layed flat etc.

Cheers
    John
    Last edited by John_McF; 05-06-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Luggage compartment tiedown

I remove the back seat completely. The bottom seat frame is easily removed. Instead of lacing to attach the sling at the top cross bar I have industrial strength Velcro on the back of the cross bar and sling. The sling wraps around the cross bar and pulls the Velcro up tight locking the sling in place. That makes the whole back seat removable in about 10 seconds.

When we restored the airplane we welded in attachment plates under the rear floorboards to attach these quick connect tie-down rings on top of the floorboard.
    http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Anchor...iABEgLGRvD_BwE
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 05-06-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the rear seats out all winter while on skis. This way I can put the dolly wheels in the back as I go from airport to airport. My plane has recessed tie down rings in the floor. The previous owner rigged the old seat belts with clips so they can be used as adjustable straps. I've got bungee chords and drops back there as well.
    Having the tie down rings was great for strapping down fishing gear throughout the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I often remove the rear seat for camping trips, but I leave the seat bottom frame in place. I have the auxiliary fuel tank under the seat, so a soft pad and a sheet of thin plywood goes on that the better distribute any load. And I can connect bungees or a bungee cargo net from seat bottom frame to seat back upper cross bar.
    My hangar mates secure the seat back cushion to the sling with velcro so just rip it off and roll the sling into the hat shelf.
    GG

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I removed my rear seat and use the seatbelts and their anchor points for cargo tie-downs. Since the usual trip is just me and my better half with stuff it's more convenient. When I originally ferried the airplane from MT, the rear seat was in so I bought a couple of the "Action Packer" tote boxes and they go through the cargo door and wedge in the space behind the seat pretty nice actually. Didn't have any issue with shifting during the trip North. Don't have stuff rolling around either.

Post Thanks / Like

Flying with 3 or more is rare in my plane, I leave my seat out and only put it in when I take extra passengers. I've simplified the seat removal process using small bungees instead of the rope for the seat back. It takes me about 5 minutes. I like the Velcro idea. When making a COSTCO run or on camping trips I use bungees to hold my gear in place. The existing seat and seat belt brackets work fine for me.
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-08-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."