Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacer as a cross-country touring machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer as a cross-country touring machine?

3/4 qt per hr oh my that’s it!!!? Was it running?

Seriously though. That is good.

Remember the joke the flat engine folks use..,round motors dont leak oil.......they mark their territory.

Sill that C-45 N491DM would be a nice x-country machine @ 200kt for 1000mi but as you said ~40 gal/hr

Post Thanks / Like

On XC flights my Jacobs 275 HP was good for about 1/2 quart per hour but on short flights for sightseeing or just the enjoyment of it all, it seemed like it was more like a quart an hour. I surmised that maybe the initial start and warm up was responsible for the extra on an hour or so flight.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

They are impressive engines!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, running was 3/4 at an hour. Sitting, with the “snot box” connected it would leak about a gallon every 2 weeks into the can. Good thing there was just dump it right back into the tank. Just had to remember to be sure to empty it every 2 weeks, but it seldom sat that long without exercise while I had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Yeah, running was 3/4 at an hour. Sitting, with the “snot box” connected it would leak about a gallon every 2 weeks into the can. Good thing there was just dump it right back into the tank. Just had to remember to be sure to empty it every 2 weeks, but it seldom sat that long without exercise while I had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just to back up what dgapilot says. The DGA-15 I flew back from Walla Walla WA,- Page AZ,- Houston TX. did not use any oil and it has not in about 30 hours. It doesn't have the "snot box" drain and has 450 hrs. SMOH. Our fuel burn was 19-20 GPH at 170,TAS+-MPH at 11,500' and 9,500' A lot of big piles of rocks to get over
    2000 Miles in 11.5 hrs and one gas stop. A Damn Good Airplane

Our 1340 in the SNJ-4 will use about 2-3 qts. in 25-30 hrs.and it has 300 SMOH. It has a "snot box to drain the lower cylinders.

Both these Engines were done by Tulsa Engines. My neighbor's brother worked for Tulsa at the time these engines were done and told me. "If done right they shroud not use oil". The P&W Radial engine has come a long way since 1927

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all,

Thought I would kick this thread again as I was just re-reading the conversation. Thought I'd give a quick update to my original post. We have decided to keep the Pacer. For several reasons: economical to own, fast enough, and only three of us in the family to haul. From a cross-country perspective, with the trips we fly or intend to fly, the extra speed just doesn't change the equation that much. All other airplanes increased costs significantly, not to mention the dance of finding a good airplane again and going through the sell/buy process.

YMMV, but for us, short wings are hard to beat!

Onward...

Post Thanks / Like

I just covered 4,621 NM in 10 days to fly from Virginia to Nevada and back to attend the High Sierra STOL Drag fly-in at the Dead Cow lake bed. The whole journey is documented on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwQ...ihpE0zmvmbUGgg

I think the (Tri) Pacer is a perfect cross country touring machine.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

We made each of these trips in one day; VFR, daylight only, longest was 12 hours. Tailwinds are my friend.
    Memphis to Spearfish,SD.
    Spearfish to Memphis.
    Kingston, Ontario to Memphis.
    Ogden,UT to Memphis.
    Memphis to Cable, WI.
    Rugby, ND. to Memphis
    Memphis to Springwater, Ontario. 50 miles NE. of Toronto
    Whitehorse, Yukon to Wetaskawin, British Columbia. 1020miles, we flew the Alaska Highway. 40 mph tailwind all day.
    Watson Lake to Fairbanks, AK over the highway so about 800 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Everyone should get memory trips in their planes. I went from Michigan through Arizona on the way to San Jose, CA. Came back home across Idaho and Montana. Been down into Tennessee several times too, lately I'm too lazy to play often.

Post Thanks / Like

My longest single day was from Estevan, SK to Huntsville, AL. That included the stop for customs in Minot. 1,130-ish nm. All day VFR.

That was a long day with great tailwinds.