Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Lift Strut Attach bolt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lift Strut Attach bolt

Does anyone have a AN part number for the lower end Lift Strut attaching bolt, besides the Univair part number 13241-000

Thanks Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lift Strut Attach bolt

Quote Originally Posted by C175SKYLARK View Post
    Does anyone have a AN part number for the lower end Lift Strut attaching bolt, besides the Univair part number 13241-000

Thanks Bob
    As I understood, there is not an AN equivalent. This is a custom bolt with an extended length grip section due to the short overall length needed to install it, but extended grip section to go through the strut forks.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

As I understood, there is not an AN equivalent. This is a custom bolt with an extended length grip section due to the short overall length needed to install it, but extended grip section to go through the strut forks.

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks. That was what I figured since I have seen $13.00 to $19.00 price range for each.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.airframesalaska.com/PA-2...t-bolt-kit.htm

$ 97 bucks for the full kit. upper and lower bolts

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Piper service bullit 1172 strut bolt hardware, attatched figure below. If you have the NAS464P6-11 bolts you are good for 500 hours. My plane had them installed with new sealed struts 15 years ago and am almost to the 500 hour limit so I ordered the new univair bolts, they are exactly the same size as the NAS464P6-11 bolts. NAS464 sheer bolt is rated to 160,000 psi tensile strength which is more than the Univair bolts 125,000 psi. Strange to swap out a stronger bolt for a weaker bolt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PA-16; 05-09-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The diagram shows using 2 washers with the NAS bolt . and NO washers with the univair bolt. measure the shank on the NAS bolt it should be 1 3/64 , then measure the shank on the Univair. I would be interested to see that difference of any.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The NAS bolt is longer and interferes with the landing gear during a hard landing on some airframes.

Post Thanks / Like

Eskflyer, you are right, placed next to each other I see the difference. NAS464 bolt is about 1/8 inch longer, the thread lengths are same, the grip non threaded section of shank on the NAS bolt is 11/16 and on the Univair bolt is 9/16. Installed it's hard to tell the difference, the new Univair bolt is only 1/16 inch shorter on the underside of fork.