Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Tail feather movement.... and old seat belts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tail feather movement.... and old seat belts

Doing the annual on the Pacer, and noticed what seemed to be excessive movement at the tail. I looked through the CD and couldn't find any notes on allowed play/movement.

Have a look at this youtube clip and let me know what you think, and I'll pass the info on to my AME.

Oh, and I decided to replace the seatbelts, Dated 1969,1970, and the rear one 1956!!! how in the heck does a seatbelt get to be still in service at 62 years old???
    20180505_161710.jpg20180505_161534.jpg20180505_161746.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIGYDkbntNA
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tail feather movement.... and old seat belts

Had the same problem when i out new feathers on mine. I didnt have them pushed in tight enough when i drilled the holes. Recommend cutting some shims out of the appropriate size tubing to tighten things up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have seen them with some slop but that looks really bad. If a little I have twisted safety wire in the gap. I think I would order a new set of liner tubes and pull the tail surfaces and install and drill them. I would also make sure there is no play in the rear carry through support, should be nice and tight. Have had to remove several at rebuild. Also check the play in the jack screw, yoke and front carry-thru tube at the 5/16" bolts. The elevator bushings as well. Play like that usually starts wearing on other parts.

Note, I have gotten play between the elevators and fuselage in short order after recover. I started taking a big flat file and cleaning the fabric and paint off the ends of the stabilizers prior to assembly and drilling of the liner tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply guys.
    The front end of the stab is nice and tight, without any excess movement. The jackscrew is also tight...no excess movement there either. I'll look into some of those liner tubes.
    Forrest Miller