Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Vagabond - Dual Controls

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond - Dual Controls

I'm currently working to install dual controls on my PA15 Vagabond, and I'm running into a snag back at the elevator. I'm aware that two separate cables attach at the elevator for each side's torque tube (Piper Dwg 11600), but for the life of me, I can't figure out how each of the cables attach at the elevator horn (Piper Dwg 40551). I've searched through both the Vagabond and SWP drawings for clues, but neither seems to have that specific detail. Drawing 10870 shows the individual cables, and there are some differences between the two uppers and two lowers, but I'm unable to see how they attach to the elevator. I sure would appreciate it if someone might help out with this... drawings and photos speak volumes! I would think some kind of "Y" needs fabricating at the elevator horn to accept each of the cables. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

FWIW, I'm also working with Terry Bowden (DER) to install brakes on the right side. I hope to have the option to fly the plane from either side, especially when hauling kids. I've always been wary of taking non-flyers (kids) up as I have to be the first one in the plane with a prop swinging... having dual controls AND right side brakes will allow me to strap a non-flyer into the left side and let me still have access to all available controls to fly/taxi the plane. For those who have the experimental Wagabonds as well as those who have left doors on their Vags, this is a non-issue. That said, I'm also seeking any Field Approvals for dual brakes on a Vag as well as LH door modifications... obviously, pre-1955 337s are very much preferred, but I will accept any for supporting documentation.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Last edited by cammons3; 01-16-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vagabond - Dual Controls

Curt,
    I have pictures that I took when reassembling my PA17 after its fuselage recover....
    Will look for them soon.
    Can post on here or e-mail them to you.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Curt,
    I have pictures that I took when reassembling my PA17 after its fuselage recover....
    Will look for them soon.
    Can post on here or e-mail them to you.
    TonyN
    Please post here so we can all learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go. I think the pictures and words are self explanatory.
    TonyN
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Here are plans for brackets.
    Attached Images Attached Images