Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total Newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Total Newbie

An old corn binder scout!? I can remember back in the day, we'd sit outside on a quiet night and listen to them rust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Default Total Newbie

Yep, my tinnitus might keep me from hearing the more subtle aspects of the rust process, but this one is definitely part of that club! BTW, never heard the “corn binder” term in reference to the Scouts before.

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    An old corn binder scout!? I can remember back in the day, we'd sit outside on a quiet night and listen to them rust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile appIMG_1394.jpg
    Last edited by TatesRUs; 05-16-2018 at 06:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Your find sounds similar to what we used to find in France, back in the 80s.
    Cubs, Vagabonds and the like sat in hangars waiting to be discovered, purchased, serviced and flown!
    Good luck with your find and I hope all goes well.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Its more a reverence to International Harvester. Slant six or v8?
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Originally, the 85hp 6cyl. It's been retrofitted with an older Ford 289, but has been sitting for years with the air cleaner off and the spark plugs removed, so I don't like its chances of even turning over. BTW, I have a 1949 International Harvester Fridge in my garage functioning as a kegerator. Pretty sure it's the original freon charge and still works great.

Back on the Tri-Pacer, what's a reasonable fee for an annual? The price I've heard so far is a $1,200 baseline, plus whatever else comes up in discovery.

Post Thanks / Like

$1200 might not be too bad considering the AI might have to spend upwards of 6-8 hours just checking AD compliance.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a few pix tonight while we were doing a little more hangar work. It desperately needs a wash, but y’all get the idea.

IMG_1479.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1488.jpgIMG_1472.jpgIMG_1491.jpgIMG_1469.jpg
    Last edited by TatesRUs; 05-17-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!
    Long range tanks, booster tips, I like the flap handle helper.
    brakes might need to go...

Scoring an an old hanger full of stuff!

Wow, I almost had forgotten, almost. Please please be extra extre carful, I bought a similar hanger, oldest building in the village, and it burned to the ground thirty days afterwords. Most likly old wiring or what not. Lost three nice birds and everything I owned but my pickup truck, clothes on my back, and my Tripacer.

Rocket
    Last edited by rocket; 05-18-2018 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Spelling of course :/

Post Thanks / Like

May I suggest you go to the Short Wing Piper Club website and order the Blueprints and Drawings CD. You might find a need for it as you go through the innerds. You might, also, want the Rigging CD. https://www.shortwingpiperclub.org/p...nce-materials/
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Boy, I see lots of "improvements"! Remote oil cooler/slick-looking cowl, new voltage regulator (alternator conversion?), pilot's side door.... somebody gave that one a lot of TLC! It looks to be really solid. First thing I'd do is try to get ALL logbooks & records; you might consider getting the full report from the FAA as well -- get this thing's complete history together if you can. Good luck, great "find"!!