Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacer evolution

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacer evolution

Looking for the changes that took place from the first s/n to the last, not including engines. I read about mains being widened, when did that take place and how do you tell early gear apart from later, was the change 2 inches or 20 inches?

Any and all changes, good or bad LOL, we all wont agree on all changes being good I am sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacer evolution

Get out your parts manual and it will show the serial number changes on certain parts like landing gear. If you do a Google search with keywords and "site:shortwingpipers.org" you can find lots of information. There is a thread on differences over the years like the wider door openings, panel moved forward etc. Here is a thread on the wide and narrow gear.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...gear-do-I-have

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    Any and all changes, good or bad LOL, we all wont agree on all changes being good I am sure
    What you should have said was the devolution of the Tri-pacer into a Pacer. It drives me crazy when everyone calls their late model aircraft converted to a tailwheel a "Pacer".

There is enough differences to clearly separate the two models 20 and 22.

The 50 pacer had a simple instrument panel, straight flap handle, simple generator control circuit, single loop trim control, single front bench seat, lightweight (thinner gauge metal) oil cooler bracket mounted at the firewall, shallow galvanized firewall (4 inches shorter) sliding windows, basic pitot system, simple copper tube on the left wing, no closed static system.

And of course narrow gear (72" tread) with smaller hydrasorbs and reduced angle tailwheel mount bracket. With the narrow gear the fuselage cross tube aft of the gear was also smaller in wall thickness. No fuel pickup on the front of the RH fuel tank, added later in service bulletin. Simple boiler tubes on the bottom of both tanks for fuel quantity. Flat windshield with supports welded to support tube. Door handles with aeronca style latches. Ailerons controls were pulleys and cables.

53 Pacer, wide gear (86" tread) with trailing edge fairings, new hydrasorbs and tailwheel bracket. Larger wall diameter cross tube aft of landing gear. different landing gear fairings. Fuel quantity indication (floats) in the tanks and electronics indicators on the panel. Complex instrument panel with vacuum systems, lift detection, fuel strainer under floor for RH tank feed. Bent flap handle, easier to reach. Aileron controls are sprockets and chains. Protected charging system, fuses added to the panel under the seat. Bubble windshield. different door latch system. Different cabin ventilation and heat controls at firewall. Oil cooler mounting, no fittings at firewall. Increased gross weight. Aeromatic prop controls.

Just a few, may have missed some of the later 22 model changes like baggage door, square rear windows, and of course nose wheel.
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 05-16-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    What you should have said was the devolution of the Tri-pacer into a Pacer. It drives me crazy when everyone calls their late model aircraft converted to a tailwheel a "Pacer".........
    Good list, better than Wikipedia.

It drives me crazy when people call my PA 22/20 a Tripacer.

Now it's a PA 22/14 not sure what to call it.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here are some pictures of the windshield supports.
    100_5438.jpg

100_5444.jpg

the flat windshield.
    100_5439.jpg

The earlier door latch buttons.
    100_5446.jpg

100_5447.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Good list, better than Wikipedia.

It drives me crazy when people call my PA 22/20 a Tripacer.

Now it's a PA 22/14 not sure what to call it.
    The prefix "TRI" means three. 14,20,22 so it really is a Tri-Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Only in the eyes of the FAA.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it is a PA 22. But, it is no longer a Tri-Pacer. Tri-Pacer is a name that the manufacture gave it. PA 22 is the FAA designation. It is a PA 22 converted to a Pacer. So, if anyone wants to call it a Pacer....fine.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I agree that it is a PA 22. But, it is no longer a Tri-Pacer. Tri-Pacer is a name that the manufacture gave it. PA 22 is the FAA designation. It is a PA 22 converted to a Pacer. So, if anyone wants to call it a Pacer....fine.

My opinion on that, a 22 Tri Pacer converted to a tailwheel Tri Pacer 22 I am not a fan of Cessna, they're ok and get you from A to B comfortably, but just not as fun to fly as my plane, but never heard a spamcan tri converted to tail wheel called a 172/170 or do they?

Great thread so far! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

In a tower controlled environment calling a 22/20 a Tri-Pacer can be confusing to the tower controller.