Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: O-235 high oil temps.

Post Thanks / Like

Default O-235 high oil temps.

Test flew a Clipper that I have considered buying. Had oil temp very close to 240F 5 miles after take off. Air temp 93F. Pulled power back to 2200 rpm and held straight and level flight. Oil temp dropped to 220 F and then slowly climbed to just over 230F. Turned back to airport and landed. Oil temp dropped to 220F. We had full fuel and 390# of occupants. Stick showed 5 quarts in sump. We had a 2+ hr flight home and did not feel confident running that kind of temp for that long. What kind of oil temps are you O -235 guys seeing? Thx, Brian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: O-235 high oil temps.

Soundsclose to my Clipper with the O-235-C1 and no oil cooler. One thing I have learned is that the oil temperature gauges are not very accurate. Some read high and some low and it is not linear. I would check the gauge and also check the condition of the baffles. If you put a light behind the engine anywhere you see light is an air leak that is not helping cool the engine. How was the oil pressure?

Post Thanks / Like

Our Clipper will hit 220 on a hot and heavy climb but normal cruise 200 or so. No oil cooler, tight baffles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Soundsclose to my Clipper with the O-235-C1 and no oil cooler. One thing I have learned is that the oil temperature gauges are not very accurate. Some read high and some low and it is not linear. I would check the gauge and also check the condition of the baffles. If you put a light behind the engine anywhere you see light is an air leak that is not helping cool the engine. How was the oil pressure?
    Oil pressure was was in the yellow and bouncing a bit. I suspect air in line to gauge.
    Baffles need replacing. Further investigation showed Aeroshell 100 being used for oil. O-235 with no cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to operating an O-235!!! My Citabria did the same. Use heavy oil in the summer, change it regularly and fly, fly, fly!

Post Thanks / Like

TUNDRABUGGY- I own a 1941 j-5 cub with a 0-235. I operate mostly in south Florida where the temperatures are normally 85* and higher. My oil temperatures normally reach between 220F-240F. I normally run @ 2,350 RPM (75% power). In the winter the temperature in south Florida is around 70* to 80* and my oil temperatures reach between 210F-220F. I do not have an oil cooler, run aeroshell 100 and burn 100LL. Lycolming service manual indicates that max temp at my ambient temperatures should be 245F. I have spoken with other 0-235 operators and we all seem to be running the same temps. My engine is healthy and would say your temps are on the money for being a hot day and heavy.