Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lycoming parallel valve guide pilots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lycoming parallel valve guide pilots

Mark, Beware of an I.A. that knows everything, particularly if you never see him with a book. I learn a more correct way to do things all the time. I'm learning a whole lot about dry vacuum pumps on Cessnas now. Another tale for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I've mentioned this before. I've rebuilt a whole bunch of air cooled VW engines and knowing what I know I've always had an engine shop build my aircraft engines. Even then I've had my share of issues with them :/. Thinking il try Lycon next time I need engine/cylinder work, if I can afford the downtime that is.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Question: does Divco anodize the case after overhaul?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, they do. Looks nice and I have rebuilt a few without paint.
    100_2435.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...is what I thought. There is zero indication the case was anodized 200 hours ago. I’m beginning to wonder if ..... about a lot of things....

Post Thanks / Like

Going back together...condemned the crank due to deep scoring on the front main journal. Replaced with yellow tagged three under rods, six under mains. Cylinders are well within spec. Number three exhaust seat was a real challenge to grind...valve depth is probably 0.020” deeper than all the other seats....the cylinder shop that reportedly ported and ground the seats opened up the seat with a sixty degree stone which put the valve seat contact area right at the edge of the valve. Will be installing the single lead CHT instrument on that cylinder. Replaced the rings, pistons and pins. The take out pins were badly pitted where exposed. And it was missing the 3/8” case bolt above and behind the cam shaft gear.. checked the gap in the rings..right at eight thousandths at the choke where the piston is at TDC. Installed three cylinders this evening. Should have the engine assembled tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Almost ready to install on the airframe. Was able to obtain the correct valve lash using shorter push tubes. Number three exhaust rocker arm needed a dash 10 push tube, lash was .051” Exhaust rockers on cylinders 1 and 2 needed dash 11’s. Installed new fuel primer lines and added a primer fitting to number one cylinder. Few zip ties and the exhaust. Make new “P” leads and will be ready to install.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lycoming parallel valve guide pilots

Removed from the building today...new “P” leads installed and replaced the grommets on the firewall....other details that were overlooked. Ground straps..not on bare metal. Will lace all the loose wires. The old engine heat system needed to be re...worked and rerouted...one bad cylinder head heater. Carb heat muff planished, flanges mostly fixed. Should have it buttoned up and test run tomorrow.

Last edited by mmoyle; 07-15-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ready for first start..we’ll almost...still waiting on another oil cooler..don’t ask...poo!
    One question: how do you tell which end is number one on a brand new McCauley propellor..Borer 82/44. I don’t see any number or stamp. There is a couple holes bored through the prop outside the propellor bolt circle...one has yellow paint inside the hole.

Post Thanks / Like

First start after rebuild. Checked for leaks...nice and dry. Next.....Button up the cowl and align the gear....and wait for a nice day...less wind!
    https://youtu.be/DAuYaJxyvSk