Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA-20 vs PA-22/20 Baggage Area? - Specifically Length Dimension

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-20 vs PA-22/20 Baggage Area? - Specifically Length Dimension

Hello All,

Have searched and couldn't find anything. I am looking to meet a specific mission and hoping the Pacer can do it.

One aspect of the mission will require me being able to carry a surfboard with dimensions of at least 6' (6'6" preferred) x about 24" width x 3" height. Ideally would carry two boards. Large and bulky but very light weight.

Plan to be flying with two people and the rear seat out! Everyone says "just get a 180" but I haven't given up hope yet.

Understand that the later model PA-22/20's have larger baggage areas but can't find any descriptive pictures or dimensions. Would also like to understand if you could do it in a PA-20.

Thank you for any assistance I am happy to provide details if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-20 vs PA-22/20 Baggage Area? - Specifically Length Dimension

I later model PA22/20 or PA22 with split front seats and the right seat removed would work but the door would have to be a sea plane door or removed to get it inside. Externally on the belly would be easy but have only seen the FAA grant external load permits in Alaska although I have carried fishing poles, shovels and camp chairs on the struts of my Super Cub but never been ramp checked.

Post Thanks / Like

First you may want to determine where the center of gravity is on your surfboards and calculate a weight and balance to make sure you are not out of the designed range. If you are, you are out of luck to do anything.
    If the calculation checks out ok, you could modify the baggage compartment bulk head to allow for a surfboard (or two) to be loaded. However, I would not just take the bulk head out, because one of the functions is also to prevent objects from moving into the tail of the airplane and jamming the controls and/or shifting the balance of the airplane in flight so it becomes uncontrollable. I would modify it in a way to close off the extra length available when not loading surf boards so no one will accidently load heavier items that far back. Of course getting this approved on a 337 is a whole other story. Good luck.

Juergen

Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the legality of it but if the back wall of the baggage compartment was removed, could the boards fit farther back inside the tail? You would have the aileron cables in the center but the boards could be along the sides. Heard of people doing stuff like that for fishing poles etc.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Would need to go behind the aft baggage bulkhead a foot or so from the back of the front seat. Might can get it in the back door, out the front door and fanagled around.
    00003IMG_00003_BURST20180607072242_COVER.jpgIMG_20180607_072300_1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight everyone, this was the clarification I was looking for. I agree, with the wide and thin nature of the boards I think you could fit it through the structure at the end of the baggage compartment. Probably in either model. Not very concerned about W&B as they are so light but I would run the numbers anyway and would definitely build a closeout to prevent interference with control cables!

Now to find a nice example...