Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Return to the sky

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Return to the sky

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    I have already put fuel lube on the gaskets and they are still super tight. Iíll investigate more tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions[/url]
    I would return those caps if they can't get them made correctly for the amount they charge for them, they should fit perfect fot $100 a cap.

If they didn't charge such an outrageous amount I would say try adjusting the tabs that hold the cap on. These are a set of caps I just bought for my 49 Panhead, turns out they are the same caps that are on my plane, I thought I had Piper gas caps but looks like I have Harley caps, maybe Piper and Harley both used these caps made by Eaton.

On these old caps the little tabs that hold the cap in place can be carefully bent outward a little to make them easier to get on and off, if you feel lucky you might try that with your caps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pictures of my old caps. The way the tabs are formed on the new ones looks to be pretty difficult to bend without damage. IMG_8100.jpgIMG_8101.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Adam Rhoads

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can complain about the price of At Lee Dodge caps all you want but see how long it takes to make them, get them approved and how many you sell. I would suspect that the skirt on the cap is somehow sealing the gasket on the tank cover and restricting the vent. I have a set of Univair caps that are flat that I could send you to try and see if that rectifies your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I would never spend that kind of money for a gas cap, just saying that if you do they should be of excellent quality and work. I like the old but good caps, they work fine as long as you don't let anything get in the way of their breathing. Back to the problem with the dodge caps he is having, pictures of your gas tank and cap would certainly help, I have looked at the dodge cap and can't see how they could be plugging up unless they are defective. They look like they should work, as well as the uniair caps, that looks like a good design to. I wonder if the problem is the breathing holes are plugged up inside the dodge cap? Did they sit around for a couple years before you used them and bugs or something get inside the caps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    I would never spend that kind of money for a gas cap, just saying that if you do they should be of excellent quality and work. I like the old but good caps, they work fine as long as you don't let anything get in the way of their breathing. Back to the problem with the dodge caps he is having, pictures of your gas tank and cap would certainly help, I have looked at the dodge cap and can't see how they could be plugging up unless they are defective. They look like they should work, as well as the uniair caps, that looks like a good design to. I wonder if the problem is the breathing holes are plugged up inside the dodge cap? Did they sit around for a couple years before you used them and bugs or something get inside the caps?
    You have never spent any money on this website either but you spend a lot of time here and then can jump to an unproven conclusion about a well respected vendors part? I will wait for further troubleshooting before I jump to such conclusions. I find your comments very ironic and interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here are some pictures of the Univair fuel caps.
    U60750-002-P2__69312.1479927158.1280.1280.jpg

U60750-002-P1__08192.1479927152.1280.1280.jpg

and the F. Atlee Dodge caps.
    +3267 fuel cap 750x450.jpg

The tabs on both styles can be spread apart to make them easier to turn.

Post Thanks / Like

The dodge caps seem to be of excellent quality. While they are expensive, they are the correct part for the plane. I am on vacation until next Sunday so I am not in a position to do any troubleshooting until I return. Some observations of the issue so far. When we landed after the first flight we went to fuel up. The suction stayed on the tank until the cap was removed. This was the issue on both tanks. On the inside of the dodge caps under the gasket there is a stamped metal dish shaped ring that looks like it is essentially a spring to keep tension on the cap so that the gasket seals. These rings also have the vent holes drilled in them. Is it possible that since these caps fit so tightly that this ring is compressed down so far that it touches the inside top of the cap causing it to block the cap vent?

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org
    Adam Rhoads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Here are some pictures of the Univair fuel caps.
    U60750-002-P2__69312.1479927158.1280.1280.jpg

U60750-002-P1__08192.1479927152.1280.1280.jpg

and the F. Atlee Dodge caps.
    +3267 fuel cap 750x450.jpg

The tabs on both styles can be spread apart to make them easier to turn.
    I need to correct my earlier post after seeing the pictures from Steve. I tried the Univair caps (as shown in Steve's post) and they also created the fuel tanks to be sucked in. Then I ordered the F. Atlee Dodge caps (through Univair) and they are working fine so far. The blue gasket was very sticky and extremely hard to turn, so I replaced the gaskets with cork gaskets from our local John Deer dealer (SKU# R39615).
    I don't mind paying the $73 per cap since they are approved for our airplanes. It is cheap insurance and peace of mind to know that my engine will keep running at max. take off power with high fuel flow and will not suck in water when flying in the rain. If any of you want to try none approved fuel caps, do it on one tank at a time. If something doesn't work as anticipated you have at least one tank to get you back on the ground.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    Last edited by Pacer42Z; 06-11-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    The dodge caps seem to be of excellent quality. While they are expensive, they are the correct part for the plane. I am on vacation until next Sunday so I am not in a position to do any troubleshooting until I return. Some observations of the issue so far. When we landed after the first flight we went to fuel up. The suction stayed on the tank until the cap was removed. This was the issue on both tanks. On the inside of the dodge caps under the gasket there is a stamped metal dish shaped ring that looks like it is essentially a spring to keep tension on the cap so that the gasket seals. These rings also have the vent holes drilled in them. Is it possible that since these caps fit so tightly that this ring is compressed down so far that it touches the inside top of the cap causing it to block the cap vent?

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org
    The Dodge caps are a supplement to the Piper 1A4 type certificate, they can be used if you choose. The original caps made by Eaton that I posted a picture of, they are correct gas caps, depends on what you like. The Dodge caps are nice I like the stainless steel and the handle, but I also prefer original equipment if it works and the original caps do work well, and its simple to tack a vertical handle onto an original cap like the Dodge cap to help twist them on and off.

Others are right, more information needed to solve your mystery, what we know is you say you had gas leak onto your tank cover and you had both tanks not venting. That is strange to me, if the caps are not venting the gas on the tank cover could have leaked out via filler neck not sealing... no that doesn't make sense because than the tank would have vented. So maybe a vapor lock, who knows, strange that both tanks were not venting.

The little raised ridge inside the Dodge cap under the gasket sounds right, all the caps I have have that ridge under the gasket, BUT I have never seen holes in the ridge, maybe it is normal on the Dodge cap? I would say they are nothing to do with venting though. If you look at the picture of the Dodge cap there are 2 small holes between the locking tabs on the inside, they vent in and vent out to the 2 holes 1 on each side high on the outside sides of the cap, so to answer your question no tighteing them should not effect the venting. I am guessing your caps are plugged up and not allowing air to flow, I have never had this happen with my original caps.

A problem I understand that pilots had with the original caps was the large gasket that fits around the filler neck, the tank cover gasket, it could press against the bottom of the cap effectively blocking the vents they say, I never experienced that, there is no way my tank cover gasket can block my vents, but the AD on the caps have you drill a hole high on the outside sides of the cap through to the inside of the cap to allow a second vent route if the bottom vents were to become plugged by the tank cover gasket, this is how the Dodge caps are designed, so that cannot be the reason your caps are not breathing, unless you have some strange tank cover gaskets that is somehow blocking those holes at the top sides of your caps?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a Jonn Deere dealer nearby? Their red cap Is a good price AND works .. so i am told.

No need for stickers to reply ... just saying.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk