Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Crosswind STOL gap seal material

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crosswind STOL gap seal material

My plane came with the Crosswind STOL kit. I needed to replace the gap seal material after some fabric work. The STC paperwork does not spec what material to use and The Crosswind folks were not forthcoming with the information. I hunted the internet but found no info about what to use. Anyway, I bought some 4oz Dacron sailcloth from www.sailrite.com it appears to be a good match for the material on my plane. Seems like a good choice. Good UV resistance and no need to seal the weave like aircraft dacron. This post is mostly to document this for other owners with the STOL kit looking for this info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Crosswind STOL gap seal material

Would Charlie not sell you the seals? I guess I am not familiar with the seal you are needing. I have this one in the hanger now.
    Mag_Cover_640x480.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my plane it was missing the STC for the STOL kit probably due to a wing swap at some point. Charlie sold me the paperwork for a very reasonable price. When I needed replacement gap seals he was willing to sell them. As a charter member of the Cheap Bastards Society, I thought the price was a little steep for for some strips of cloth so I set out to find suitable material for owner produced parts. I thought the info would also be useful to the experimentals, I found a couple of references to people looking for options. This material is glued to the wing and the control surface to form a flexible gap seal.

I've seen that picture before. Looks like a nice plane.
    BTW Steve, I finally got around to installing new rudder bushing using that tool you sell ( that was you right?) Worked great, thanks.

Last edited by Marc Davis; 06-11-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is pretty radical. Charlie told me could never build another one like it because of all the field approvals. I wonder why he didn't install any of these seals on this one. I take they are on the ailerons and flaps? There is an aluminum one like the factory flap gap seal.

Yes, I build and sell those bushing tools. Got tired of tuliping the bushing driving them in.1528729004172.jpg1528729123128.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that you get 90 percent of the improvement with a tight fitting aluminum cove type gap seal (like stock). Charlies STC allows those to be install on the aleron bay as well if you don't have them. This fabric seal is installed on both the aleron and the flap. I removed the aileron seals right after I got the plane to make some repairs. The extended wings and droop tips make the roll rate lower than a standard shortwing so I will reinstall the aileron seals to see if they help.
    With two guys and full fuel this plane power off stalls at 39 indicated (full flaps). I tend to make my short aprotches at about 55 indicated with the plane light. That seems a few miles an hour better an the standard wing so I guess the kit was an improvement. I wonder if VGs would be about the same. The real limitation now is not banging the tail wheel down at touch down. I finally understand why the SC guys are always converting to longer gear. Someday I may have to give Eddy Trimmer a call.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a PA12 today that had the X Wind mods and aileron gap seals. It is a very simple mod. I would love to hear from someone who knows the before after differences.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

When I put the seals back on the ailerons I'll post the results. I'm mostly trying to improve the roll rate, so I'll try to measure that.