Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Economics of Shortwing ownership

Post Thanks / Like

Default Economics of Shortwing ownership

Hello fellow Shortwingers,

I live in the NW part of South Carolina, supposedly a lower cost part of our country. The county just raised my hangar rent from $235 to $250 per month. How does this compare with the rest of you?

I have parked my airplane in this hangar for 9 years. It occurs to me that, given the total of my hangar rent over those years, I could have bought another PA-22 at today's prices. If you are going to keep it for 10 years why not just park it outside and then throw it away? Maybe part it out for the engine and avionics?

Think about it. Given the $25 Grand I gave the county over that period of time I could have had, say, a Grumman Tiger, parked it outside with a wind screen cover and have been money ahead.

So, unless we are members of a cult and are willing to "keep 'em flying" regardless of cost there is no economical reason to own these airplanes. Tell me were I am wrong.
    Best,

Doug Clinton
    KLQK
    Pickens, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Economics of Shortwing ownership

There is no economic reason to own these airplanes. That is correct.

But if you are interested in flying, like having an airplane available, and want to maintain an airplane for maximum quality at minimum investment, there is nothing that comes close to the economics of a shortwing. Per dollar, they do more than any other plane. If you are interested mostly in how much of your money you can get back, no airplane makes sense, and these possibly less than others. But if you are interested in flying without going broke, these airplanes probably make more sense than any other...provided you buy well and maintain carefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Safe mechanical airplanes need to be inside anywhere near salt air ( my opinion). Cleaned regularly and cared for.
    so around my area $500 to $600 is the norm - I don’t like the price, but I have a smile after each flight!!

Post Thanks / Like

$375 for a community hangar in Houston. Almost as much as the airplane payment.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you've been talking to my wife

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a rural area of Washington State and pay $225/month.

I can also point out that the FAA through airport improvement funds pays for most of the capitol expenses on our airport and as part of the agreement to accept these funds we must maintain our hangars for aircraft use and can rent the hangar below market value for commercial rental space on a per foot basis.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I find it interesting that when I moved to Washington State it was criminal to not put your airplane in a hangar. When I lived in Southern California it was typical to use outside tie down. I kept my J3 outside for years. And, Alaskan's leave their planes outside year round. Don't get me wrong, I love my hangar. It is nice to put fabric planes inside but, not necessary. Although, Cessna's should all be outside. The hangar is great to hang out in, and drink beer.
    Last edited by Stephen; 06-15-2018 at 10:15 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

T Hangars at KEMT are $462 per mo if you have a N number aircraft parked in it and registered to the leasee, airworthy or not. Same hangar rents for over $600 for the car buffs and general contractor types that we have lots of. Sq Box hangers and twin size T hangars cost more than standard 40 Ft wide T’s. All of the publicly owned general aviation airports in LA county are run by the same contractor which calls themselves American Airports, so they pretty much control hangar cost with little competition. Exceptions are Corona & Redlands both City owned, and privately owned Cable Airport.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing about owning light aircraft makes financial sense but then neither does eating in restaurants or going for holidays.. or the hundreds of other ways we spend our money from day to day. It's simply the love of flying, the comradery and all the fun associated with being part of a special group of people.

Post Thanks / Like

Hangars in our area rent from $250 and up for a standard T hangar.