Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skylight "field" install anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skylight "field" install anyone?

Have any of you done a "field" install skylight? Suppose someone were to have obtained a very nice, pristine PA22/20 from a forum member and wanted a skylight - can it be done without too much fabric disturbance? Pulling the interior is no big deal, just worried about the fabric. Also this is for next year at annual time, so I have some lead time to prep. I sure appreciate all of the knowledge shared here, you guys are awesome.

Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Skylight "field" install anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by pilot View Post
    Have any of you done a "field" install skylight? Suppose someone were to have obtained a very nice, pristine PA22/20 from a forum member and wanted a skylight - can it be done without too much fabric disturbance? Pulling the interior is no big deal, just worried about the fabric. Also this is for next year at annual time, so I have some lead time to prep. I sure appreciate all of the knowledge shared here, you guys are awesome.

Patrick
    Take a look at Steve’s Aircraft on Facebook. Brian has many hundreds of pictures....the start to finish picture series included. The Skylight STC is also available from same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We installed Steve's skylight on Cathy's Tri-Pacer without much issue. It is older fabric and we were careful and the fairings help hide where you peel the fabric back.

Post Thanks / Like

This plane has new Ceconite. From the looks of it, the wing roots cover the sides completely, which leaves only the strip across the back of the skylight. It doesn't look that difficult. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to tackle that left door at the same time..... She already has the Trimmer fuel line STC, so that is a plus.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet you spend more time fitting the overhead liner than with the exterior fabric. The door is a very nice addition but, it is a big job.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    i bet you spend more time fitting the overhead liner than with the exterior fabric. The door is a very nice addition but, it is a big job.

real big

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I bet you spend more time fitting the overhead liner than with the exterior fabric. The door is a very nice addition but, it is a big job.
    Yep, real big.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, thanks for stressing me out on the left door Looks like the skylight might not be so bad, but upon looking into Trimmer's left door there seems to be some structural work. I'm not scared of that, but this plane is so nice I hate to cut into it too much. The IA that rebuilt her did a super job and is very knowledgeable, I am highly impressed by his work. I've noticed he is a pretty active member here as well. It already has the fuel lines done......just hoping I could do the job without leaving "tracks" - I also sure do love observer doors, so that would be an added bonus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would not do the door on a recently covered airplane. Actually I am not a huge fan of the left door. It is hard to get into and adds quite a bit of weight and is a lot of work. If I was going to install one it would be at rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would not do the door on a recently covered airplane. Actually I am not a huge fan of the left door. It is hard to get into and adds quite a bit of weight and is a lot of work. If I was going to install one it would be at rebuild.
    AHHHHHHHHHHH But Steve it sure looks cool and great flying around with it open.
    I did mine with fabric on but not easy The panel has to come out also.
    Yes a little hard to get into for an old FAT Guy like me but so is a Super Cub.
    I agree with all you said