Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 180hp Pacer. What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 180hp Pacer. What are your thoughts?

Hey group I have been trying to find out more about the O-360 conversion for the Pacer and I am wondering what your thoughts are on the conversion? My is an experimental Pacer so I am not constrained by the STC. So who owns or has flown a 180hp Pacer and what are your opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 180hp Pacer. What are your thoughts?

I have about 30 hours on mine. It is truly amazing. Takeoff acceleration is note worthy. Climb to altitude is much faster, better than twice rate of climb over the 150hp after takeoff and at an additional 10mph (I climb at 100 ias now), Getting to
    10,000 and higher is not a problem anymore (if you need to get that high, handy out west where I fly though).
    Used to cruise the 150 hp at 7-8000' with full throttle and approx 21 inches Manifold Press with an indicated 105-107
    depending on season. Now with full throttle at those altitudes it is showing 125-130 IAS minimum. I have found if I pull back
    to about 18-19" MP cruise is about same as full throttle with a 150 hp. Have not been anywhere to get some good fuel burn numbers yet. Full power climb to 8-9000 (from 3300 apt eleveation) and pulling back to 22-23 inches MP shows seems
    to be close to 12-13 gallons per hour. I really need to do a long xc to find out what I can plan on. 180HP really
    makes it a all new airplane. Those RV guys and the RV grin are not the only ones that can feel that way after a fight.

I think if you are close to needing an overhaul, perfect time to upgrade and sell your run out to help out.
    I started with a fresh ovhl O-360 @ $19k, then 2k for mount and STC, 2K+ for baffles, 2K for a used ovhld prop (80inch pitch) Plus some labor to install during the airframe restoration at Steve's Aircraft.

Ed French has done his on his own and I'm sure did better on the $$ than I did, but the way my work shedule would go I'd probably still be putting it together. I chose the 80" prop so I could go to altitude around 9-10 and fly full throttle without
    exceeding the 2700 RPM. At those altitudes I have to pull it back a hair because it was slightly over the 2700.
    Most guys up in Alaska that have this conversion use a mid 50's inch pitch and gives them excellent take off and climb
    performance, then pull it way back for cruise. My take off distance is about 600-700' with full fuel and just me in it, that is probably shorter than the runway I would need for landing with my lack of practice.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Great information....what exhaust system are you running and do have any wing mods?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook11 View Post
    Wow! Great information....what exhaust system are you running and do have any wing mods?
    original exhaust, no wing mods

Post Thanks / Like

Andy, not doubting anything you said but when you said "180HP really makes it a all new airplane." I had to chuckle because. based on the restoration thread, YOU DO HAVE a new airplane.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Since Andy mentioned me in the post, I'll affirm his assessment! I do indeed smile really big with this upgrade. I am at sea level, take off is less than 300' (not measured yet). Landing is longer at this point because the increased HP pulls even during idle. I am climbing at around 1200 fpm and burning 14 gph at full throttle climb. My cruise at this point (final phase of break in... 25 hours on engine so far, 10 more before looking for economy) is 115 with 31" bushwheels burning around 8.8 at 2000' leaned (22" MP).

I am hoping to get a flatter prop (82") for better take off soon. The only thing I'm in a hurry to do is to get off the ground and climb! With the O-320 I could get off in about 350' but had to hold in ground effect to gain airspeed. With the 0-360, I have a positive climb as soon as wheels are off the ground. During slow flight practice, I learned that it will indeed climb at 40 mph indicated (not a good idea for a take off, but good to know)!

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all of Ed's specifics on his performance. I took off yesterday with one notch flaps and it seemed to want to fly at about just over 40 indicated and wasn't sure I wanted it flying yet. It was definitely off just before 50 and and accelerating and climbing at something over 1000 fpm. All happens pretty fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a question. I have flown a lot of Clippers, Pacers and Tri-Pacers with a lot of different engines and modifivations from tires to wing mods. I have never flown a 180 hp Pacer. I have also flown a lot of Super Cubs from 90 hp up to 200 plus. The one thing I have noticed in the 180 hp Super Cubs is that the performance is much enhanced but the balance is not and in my opinion the 180 hp version does not fly as well as the 150/160 hp version. I am curious how the 180 hp Pacer flies compared to the 150/160 besides the power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have a question. I have flown a lot of Clippers, Pacers and Tri-Pacers with a lot of different engines and modifivations from tires to wing mods. I have never flown a 180 hp Pacer. I have also flown a lot of Super Cubs from 90 hp up to 200 plus. The one thing I have noticed in the 180 hp Super Cubs is that the performance is much enhanced but the balance is not and in my opinion the 180 hp version does not fly as well as the 150/160 hp version. I am curious how the 180 hp Pacer flies compared to the 150/160 besides the power.
    Hi Steve,

I had close to 150 hours in the 150 hp version and was very happy how it flew hands off. Was, what I would consider, very balanced. Once i got it trimmed, I rarely had to make any adjustments for climb/descent or landing.

After upgrading to the 180 hp, I really didn't perceive any difference in the flight characteristics or feel, other than the performance upgrades. It still flies hands off. I am tinkering with the trim a bit more, but I suspect that is more me getting the "feel" of the plane vs. the flight characteristics. I am very happy with the upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I go along with what Ed says above. I figured I would notice the heavier engine up front
    possibly affecting pitch changes and maybe different flare characteristics. I had over 800 hours
    with the 150 hp in the ship but really don't notice any real differences. I even put two case of oil
    in the baggage and didn't notice any big change. Just a couple days ago I cut the power a little high
    and had enough elevator authority that I hit tail first.