Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Field Guide to Shortwing Wingtip STC's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Field guide to shortwing wingtip STC's

My plane came with the Fergison tips and the full CrosswingSTOL kit including leading edge cuff, gap seals, stall fences, and flaps extended inboard. I have about 500 hours in shortwings. I can land this machine about 10 MPH slower than a stock wing. I can get off in about the same distance as a Tri-Pacer with an estimated 180hp (160hp with flow ported cylinders and tuned length exhaust). I'd say it has at least a 20% shorter takeoff roll as compared to a stock Tri-Pacer with the same prop. I do like the stock look but at least I'm getting something for my money.
    Having said that. Keeping the plane light makes the most difference. Next on my list is the Svenn's aircraft battery mod. That shaves 12.2 Lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Marc.

Anyone know anything about the Northland wingtip STC? Seems to be similar to a Sullivan but with a splitter plate type tip on the end (flat closeout with about 2 inch additional width added all the way around the tip)

Post Thanks / Like

From my research so far:

Stewart Tips.

Contact Dan Stewart - danrstewart@frontier.com or Marjie Stewart Hgr21@nwi.net or hanger21@frontier.net

Requires 2x 18" of front spar and 2x 17" of rear spar.
    Need to construct 2x tip bow to spar mounts - U shape from 16G ASTM.
    Fabricate curved wing tip bow from 1/2" EMT.
    Requires one full size rib per wing.
    Can use standard sized nav lights at wing tip.

$350 for STC paperwork only.

Svenn Wing Tip.

Parts list - http://svennsaviation.com/wp-content...Parts-List.pdf

This STC requires DakotaCub fibreglass tips - however, these do not appear to be available on the http://dakotacub.com website. I tried to contact them but to no avail.

STC paperwork only $260.

If anyone has any detailed info about cost or parts list for the Sullivan tips, i would be grateful. I will contact him next timeI am in ANC.
    Being based in the UK, the main restriction is the supply of parts. For example, if I can't get some suitable cut off spar pieces then buying univar spars and shipping them to the Uk and paying import duties and taxes makes it uneconomical.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another shot of Sullivan tips:

DSC05006.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Field Guide to Shortwing Wingtip STC's

Thanks for all the pictures Mark. I merged a lot of wing tip threads with yours so anyone interested in all the different wing tips can find almost all the information in one place.

Post Thanks / Like

Installing, Sullivan, Madras or Ferguson, I use a full size stamped rib for the outter rib.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve
    Any chance my original post could stay at on the first page? I intended it to act as a easy to find summary. Right now It's buried on page 13.

Stephan
    I'll edit my post to reflect that possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhillier View Post
    Being based in the UK, the main restriction is the supply of parts. For example, if I can't get some suitable cut off spar pieces then buying univar spars and shipping them to the Uk and paying import duties and taxes makes it uneconomical.

Have to believe there are folks here that have damaged spars around that you could get some short pieces to make the converstion.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    Thanks Steve
    Any chance my original post could stay at on the first page? I intended it to act as a easy to find summary. Right now It's buried on page 13.
    Done, http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...-Wingtip-STC-s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Davis View Post
    I was researching the various wing tips found on shortwings and thought it might be useful to gather the info in one place.
    Please correct me if I got something wrong, add info about other tips if I missed some, or provide better pictures.

Stewarts
    Bend cap strips straight (adds wing length)
    Replace last rib with full size ribFabric over a bow like stock
    Install bow similar to stock
    Cover with fabric
    Attachment 13676
    That is my tip in the picture. The spars are spliced no bending the capstrips and no span is added, still 29' 3" or so. The difference is the wing area, with the Horner style squared off wing (not really elliptical any more) it gives you some extra wing without extra length. The full size rib is from a J-3 (I think the butt rib from the opposite side). The actual bow is conduit. Dan told me they quit selling the kits because it was becoming a PITA to keep all the PMA stuff going with the FAA. Marc hit one of the things I really like about these tips, no fiberglass! All fabric just like the original.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member