Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAA CD 337 question

Post Thanks / Like

Default FAA CD 337 question

Got the CD for a converted pacer I am looking at buying.

Question 1, the pacer has an O-320 conversion, but I do not see a 337 there for it, only one mention of it on a letter from the FAA to the owner back in 2001ish. Is this an issue? Or if its in the log books I'll be ok? (Waiting for log book info now)

Question 2, there is disk brakes on it now and I see the 337 for it, however all it says is IAW piper service kit #761081. What brake setup is this? Google is coming up empty so far. Pic attached IMG_20180619_162335565.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FAA CD 337 question

While I would think changing from the original engine is a major alteration and should have a 337. If the engine is listed in the Type Certificate it can be installed without an STC or Field Approval and noted in the log book and be legal. Get an IA with Piper experience to review the papers with you.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Google search "O-320 engine conversion installation site:shortwingpipers.org" and you will find more discussion on what Stephen posted. Have not heard of that brake kit but the 337 was accepted by the FAA so it would be legal. Would be curious to see what brakes are installed.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a reference to Piper kit 761-081 in this Parker wheel brake kit pdf. Piper may have sold this kit as a SC wheel and brake kit.

http://www.parker.com/parkerimages/P...7100%20Kit.pdf
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with Stephen that a 337 form should have been completed as a major alteration for the engine change if it is an option in the TC, along with any possible W&B changes. A copy should be in the logs and with the FAA. The IA would have signed off on it.
    The Piper brakes if installed with the Piper kit should have another 337; major alteration. If it was a STC then the paperwork should be in the logs and with the FAA and the IA sign off and the revised W&B as necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it should have had a 337. A major alteration is a major alteration no matter where the approval comes from. The only thing that changes is who gets to "okay" it. I need to fill out a 337 for an A65 with millennium cylinders because the previous owner failed to take care of it and it is an STC'd installation.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 06-20-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that anything eligible for your model/serial # on the TC is a minor alteration and no 337 is required. Likewise most “service kits” that have a service bulletin associated are part of the TC and are minor alterations. Not saying that is the case with this specific engine and wheel/brake installation, just general info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I incorrectly said major when I should have said minor alteration. Though it most likely doesn't need the 337, filling one out for the records is a good idea and the FAA configuration database.

Post Thanks / Like

I allowed the generic use of the term “Pacer” influence my answer. Good catch for those who caught the TC possibility. Such an engine conversion on the right PA-22 could easily be considered a minor alteration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Yes, I incorrectly said major when I should have said minor alteration. Though it most likely doesn't need the 337, filling one out for the records is a good idea and the FAA configuration database.
    Actually filling out a 337 for a minor alteration is a violation of 43.9, though I’ve never seen anyone prosecuted for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk