Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: L-4

Post Thanks / Like

Default L-4

2AF758E3-D993-4204-84F9-7F90EFA9B1F2.jpg
    Just a relaxing Sunday flier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: L-4

Is it a real L4 or a converted J3. Had a friend who had restored one take me through all the differences years ago. Was very interesting. I have a couple of really good books on their use in WWII.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Is it a real L4 or a converted J3. Had a friend who had restored one take me through all the differences years ago. Was very interesting. I have a couple of really good books on their use in WWII.
    It's the real deal! Originally designated an O-59A. I got the build sheet from Clyde Smith Jr. which includes the military numbers. It was converted to a J3C-65 when it hit the civilian market and converted back to L4 around 2000. I don't think it ever left the USA though.

The right brake is failing. I haven't pulled the wheel yet to investigate but I suspect I need an expander tube. I am hoping I can find a serviceable one left over from a brake conversion if that is the case. I am trying to keep it original so I don't want to do the Grove conversion unless I absolutely have to. It is still running the old "suitcase" mags with the original style spark plugs.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 06-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to own a 46, J 3.

What are some of the differences other than Windows.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I am not well versed in cub lore. This is the only one I have been around. I was talking to one of the guys who helped with the last restoration he said something about how he knew it was an L4 as soon as they started peeling the fabric. Mine was originally a radio bird so it had to have a way to mount the radios but until I find some pictures I wouldn’t know what to look for.

Steve, would you post the titles of the books you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Fighting Grasshoppers, Grasshopper Pilot and I think Grasshoppers at war off the top of my head. Have to look at my book shelf at home for more.

There are two leveling lugs about 30" apart on the left side of the fuselage but some of the J3s built at the end of the war have them as well. The radio shelf and chart table in the back. I use to know a ton of other things but have forgotten and unfortunately leRoy is no longer with us to remind me.

Post Thanks / Like

I received the military history for the L-4 from the USAF. It wasn’t in the service for very long. It was received by the USAAF in February 1942 and condemned as salvage in August 1942. It seems a tornado ate it at Hayes Field, KS where it was assigned to the 25th Glider Training Detachment. I intend to pursue the history a little more as time allows actual leg work. Googling the information I have hasn’t produced any additional information and zero pictures of Cubs identified as being in the 25th.