Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My poor Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default My poor Pacer

Was totaled by a student soling it. He was ok, but N50KF has seen better days. The airframe has broken longerons and I dont think its worth fixing. But there is a lot of good stuff.

Im trying to decide if I take the $13500 bid for salvage from a junkyard or maybe can do the same or better helping out some of you people here.

It had:
    150hp with 760 hours on a Mattiuck overhaul. PID crank, oil filter adapter, slick mags, Sky-Tech starter. Propstrike in accident.

Garmin 430WAAS with updated software
    Garmin GPSMAP 496
    Century HSI (just paid almost 3grand to have it serviced and repaired)
    Brittain Autopilot
    Garmin intercom

20 hours on ABW tailwheel and new ABW spring

Cleveland dual puck disc brakes, I have extra pads

Wheel pants which were not installed at time of incident.

1.5 hours on Sutton exhaust system, rear mount oil cooler, and baffling from Rubbert. I have the old front mount cooler and hoses as well.
    It had Madras wingtips, one is pretty hammered, the other is fine

I have extra tires, spark plugs (brand new champions still in package) custom fit covers, block heater set up.

If anyone is interested in any of this stuff, it would be cool if I can make it work out to help out some of the people are on this forum. Just need to get my money out of it and play with my new plane. Sadly this will be my last Short Wing for a while I replaced it with an SLSA.

Any questions feel free to email me

travis@atomicauto.com

Thanks!

Photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5E9LiWdWkmXCq7s6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hG4XpUswJZ4DtYgc6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/esmopJJH9eEEyof19

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Go5eJ2Cj8Gy39fkr5

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My poor Pacer

Man, what a shame. If you elect to part it out, I would think the avionics, autopilot and firewall forward stuff alone would total more than the salvage bid. Anyway keep us informed on what you decide. I might have some interest in the auto pilot and some of the other things you have.

Allycat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to see that Travis. Lot of this stuff for sale unfortunatley. Figure in your time of disassembling, storing and dealing with folks on all of it. If it goes to bid it might have a better chance being repaired and back in the air. I have repaired far worse.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 07-03-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss this one's a little beyond being able to buff it out good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Travis, I've said it before - that was one beautifully done aircraft, sorry to see! I could go for the Sutton exhaust, edm700, covers, extra set of tires if 7.00 or 8.00, SL30, probably can't swing the 430 since it is WAAS. If you have some numbers in mind for everything maybe post it all and see if you can make it add up, I think you could come out ahead - and I'm willing to chip in.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a PA 20 on Orcas Island, WA that looks very similar to yours. It probably ground looped a week or so ago. It took out it's left gear, the wing broke at the strut attachment and left side tail is damaged some longeron damage. But, no prop strike. Like yours it's repairable.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    There is a PA 20 on Orcas Island, WA that looks very similar to yours. It probably ground looped a week or so ago. It took out it's left gear, the wing broke at the strut attachment and left side tail is damaged some longeron damage. But, no prop strike. Like yours it's repairable.
    I saw that, repairable but heart breaking. 1950 model. Was surprised the prop didn't hit.
    FB_IMG_1530708155211.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Very sad about both of those.
    Your plane was beautiful Travis, if I were you I would keep it, not sell it for that salvage price.
    Any plans for another shortwing? I think you could make out better parting out those very nice parts
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 07-04-2018 at 08:07 AM. Reason: additional

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at both of the Pacers I think both should be rebuilt. There are a lot of home built aircraft being built from scratch. I would rather start on a Pacer than a Van.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I believe that the yellow pacer belongs to a member of this group......