Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My poor Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My poor Pacer

Quote Originally Posted by grbamford View Post
    I believe that the yellow pacer belongs to a member of this group......
    Interestingly, the left wing will need new spars but, the struts looked fine.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I might be interested in the baffles if you choose to part it out.....let me know.

It's a shame about your bird...

Post Thanks / Like

That be me!
    Poor YellowBird got away from me and ground-looped. Insurance deemed it a total loss.
    I didn't want to go into details until my meeting with FAA, (2hrs)which was yesterday. No license suspension, but will be taking a tailwheel lesson shortly; which is perfectly fine with me.
    34 at Orcas goes down hill. Had a left crosswind for 34 and, AWOS sounded pretty tame (SW9G15), but it felt way more than what it was calling out. Took a bounce, compensated that with a few hundred RPM's, floated forever, dipped left wing again, reach down to raise flaps and, right rudder muscle memory likey got me behind on second bounce. I couldn't catch up; It happened so damn fast! Been waking up at 2-3am pissed off trying to pin point where I lost it . . .

Post Thanks / Like

. . . there a 30 day bidding process if anyone is interested.

It is at Avtech Services, Auburn, WA.

www.aircraftsalvageonline.com

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

There was a prop strike.
    When I got on the grass, that's where the wheel dug in and collapsed left gear leg. Soft soil, the prop didn't bend, it's scuffed from going into soil a couple inches.
    I've always done a fingernail harmonic check every preflight, to both ends of prop. Did a check after this accident and not a hint of off note. Of course a prop shop will have final say . . .

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry2011 View Post
    Been waking up at 2-3am pissed off trying to pin point where I lost it . . .
    Larry, I know that feeling well. Just know you are not the first nor the last. It gets better with time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My poor Pacer

I’m really curious if the left gear leg failed? When I totaled my 1950 Pacer...I spent six months kicking my butt...until an eye witness told me what happened...touched down right gear in fairly gusty conditions...was told the right tire swung out and under the airplane.. verified by the FFA engineers when they reviewed pictures of the landing gear....only after being told what happened and receiving that letter rescinding the check ride demand...did I fully understand why the right wing tip almost hit the runway...causing me to decrease right aileron input...floating sideways....Bla Bla..
    And I didn’t see your Pacer on the auction site..
    Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mmoyle; 07-13-2018 at 05:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

No, gear leg took a full load when it dug in. I pretty much hit the dirt at the apex of the loop.

Thank you Steve . . . still one of those, "shoulda, coulda . . . gone around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Larry, I know that feeling well. Just know you are not the first nor the last. It gets better with time.
    I also know the feeling. My left gear off from a rough landing and a welding failure. So, it was not my fault.....oops....I did the welding......Damn.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbag View Post
    Was totaled by a student soling it. He was ok, but N50KF has seen better days. The airframe has broken longerons and I dont think its worth fixing. But there is a lot of good stuff.

Im trying to decide if I take the $13500 bid for salvage from a junkyard or maybe can do the same or better helping out some of you people here.

It had:
    150hp with 760 hours on a Mattiuck overhaul. PID crank, oil filter adapter, slick mags, Sky-Tech starter. Propstrike in accident.

Garmin 430WAAS with updated software
    Garmin GPSMAP 496
    Century HSI (just paid almost 3grand to have it serviced and repaired)
    Brittain Autopilot
    Garmin intercom

20 hours on ABW tailwheel and new ABW spring

Cleveland dual puck disc brakes, I have extra pads

Wheel pants which were not installed at time of incident.

1.5 hours on Sutton exhaust system, rear mount oil cooler, and baffling from Rubbert. I have the old front mount cooler and hoses as well.
    It had Madras wingtips, one is pretty hammered, the other is fine

I have extra tires, spark plugs (brand new champions still in package) custom fit covers, block heater set up...
    Probably sucks to hear this, but I'd bet you will be hard pressed to do better than the 13.5 the insurance company is offering. The low time engine is now a "core" with a suspect crank. The avionics are nice, but even the 430 is becoming irrelevant. The airframe will need a complete recover in addition to some significant repairs. Even if you do manage to pull more than 13.5, it won't be but pennies more and there is a pretty good chance it will take a year of weekends stripping off the odd bits. And at the end you will still have the whole airframe to cart off to the dump or local A&P school, because a Shortwing airframe aint worth much by itself.

Let go of the passion and take a hard look at the value proposition this represents.