Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My poor Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My poor Pacer

Lesson here, if you pay for hull insurance, set the value as high as you can. You may pay a little more in premiums, but if it gets wrecked you will at least get what your value is. I ran a repair station years ago where all we did was insurance repairs. Most insurance companies have a formula they use to determine if the aircraft gets totaled or not. Figure with just a prop strike, the repair for that with nothing to the airframe will be over 20k for an O320. If the repair costs exceed about 85% (varies by insurance company) of the insured value, it gets totaled. You sign the title over and they give you a check for the insured value minus your deductible. Some insurance companies will let you “buy back” the salvage, others require it to go out for bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Lesson here, if you pay for hull insurance, set the value as high as you can. You may pay a little more in premiums, but if it gets wrecked you will at least get what your value is. I ran a repair station years ago where all we did was insurance repairs. Most insurance companies have a formula they use to determine if the aircraft gets totaled or not. Figure with just a prop strike, the repair for that with nothing to the airframe will be over 20k for an O320. If the repair costs exceed about 85% (varies by insurance company) of the insured value, it gets totaled. You sign the title over and they give you a check for the insured value minus your deductible. Some insurance companies will let you “buy back” the salvage, others require it to go out for bid.

I didn't see where he was under insured just what the value of the salvage was. Insure for what you can replace it for. The insurance companies I have dealt with get repair bids and salvage bids. They figure out what is cheaper, fix the airplane or total it, write you a check and sell the salvage. It does not cost much more to up the hull value. I have seen a few airplanes totaled for not real serious damage because the salvage was worth more than it was to repair. Mainly on Super cubs because people pay way to much for a wreck thinking tey are getting a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Had one SuperCub that the guy only had 35k of hull coverage. Engine quit, went into a field and on its back. I had to fight with the insurance company to let us fix it. They could have gotten more than the 35k in salvage from it. Had another perfectly Airworthy Cherokee that they totaled for some minor hail damage. I think that guy only had about 12 or 15k in hull coverage.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your Pacer Travis.
    What did you decide to do with it? Also, what control wheels did you use in that beautifully done interior? I’m planning to convert mine. Thanks for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

It's being parted out by someone else who has more time than I do. If you get me your email address I will have him contact you. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppycaptain View Post
    Sorry about your Pacer Travis.
    What did you decide to do with it? Also, what control wheels did you use in that beautifully done interior? I’m planning to convert mine. Thanks for your reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM with email. Which control wheels did you use? Aircraft Spruce?

Post Thanks / Like

The plane is being parted out. If anybody wants anything please email me travis@atomicauto.com