Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

Hi all,

I'm curious what all the Pacer pilots are seeing for cruise speed. Ours is reliably about 100 knots (115 mph). We are a stock PA20 with 135hp and a climb prop. We typically cruise around 3,000'.

I'm thinking it should be a touch faster and I do suspect my rigging isn't perfect. Just wanted to compare notes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

With my 26in Goodyear’s, a climb prop, and cruising at 2400rpm around sea level I see about 105mph. With my 6.50s, wheel pants, cruise prop and cruising at 2400rpm around 3500ft or above I’ll see upwards of 120mph. This is a PA-22/20 150hp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by flynfish; 07-03-2018 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let's compare Pacer cruise speeds

Comparing cruise speeds doesn't yield much comparison data if everyone is not at the same RPM setting at the same altitude or everyone is at 75% power for the altitude they are flying.
    With a 58" prop at 75% power my cruise speed is 115 mph true. A Clipper or early Pacer without an external static system will exhibit higher airspeeds. Putting a static system in my Clipper dropped the airspeed about 10mph. It then checked out very accurate on a four course GPS run.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-03-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was once in a forum discussion where a profoundly simple statement was made (not by me). If you focus on MPH and GPH, you can get rid of the rpm and the propeller pitch in the comparison. For comparable airframes, they ought to have comparable fuel burn at comparable speeds. The drag of the airframe vs the power produced to equalize with it. So most cruise speed discussions really need to be supported by a fuel burn rate.

Best regards,

Todd
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Comparing cruise speeds doesn't yield much comparison data if everyone is not at the same RPM setting at the same altitude or everyone is at 75% power for the altitude they are flying.
    With a 58" prop at 75% power my cruise speed is 115 mph true. A Clipper or early Pacer without an external static system will exhibit higher airspeeds. Putting a static system in my Clipper dropped the airspeed about 10mph. It then checked out very accurate on a four course GPS run.
    Lost 10 mph! I would have ripped that new static system out of my plane in a second.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished flying from Mojave ca to Bellingham Wa. I didn't do the math for the last few low altitude legs but when I was settled in cruise I was getting a consistent 100-105 kts TAS at 2600-2650. Fuel burn averaged to 8.5-8.7 gph. That's with a 160hp o-320 and I don't know the prop pitch off the top of my head.
    I've said it before, there are faster airplanes out there that can even carry more but they cost 5 times more than a pacer and aren't any more fun to fly. Besides, crossing the country at 100kts is a great way to build time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

We get 100 knots give or take...114mph in our 135hp Pacer at around 70% power up to around 5000 feet. Burn around 5.5 imperial gph at that setting.

Post Thanks / Like

My Cipper is fast. I’ve flown from Spearfish SD, from Ogden UT, from Kingston, ON, Canada to Memphis,TN. each in one day and daylight only.

Post Thanks / Like

With MD74 on new overhauled O-320 A2B, 3 adults and full fuel on board @ 2300 RPM and 2,800 MSL just south of Orlando Internation at 08:30 hrs lcl indicated 118 MPH. GNS 430 had GS of 108 knots.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for playing along, everyone. I know this is far from scientific, but it's interesting to hear what others are seeing.

Enjoy those short wings!